Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Today was a good day

Article about: Christmas came early today. I had two packages waiting for me when I got home. You'll have to forgive the bad pictures as I'm working overtime and have not had to do proper pictures. The fir

Nice Greg..I never realized how attractive these knives are ! I know that sounded like a sick statement.

Impressive etch on the blade. Great Gift Double the pleasure Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Thanks Larry
    I have a whole new appreciation for what it takes for you dagger guys
    to post good pictures of your daggers. I've been taking pictures for 3 days
    trying get something that looked half ways decent. I got maybe 4 good shots
    out of maybe a hundred attempts.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Edged weapons have to be IMO the hardest to photograph..as much of the light is reflective back into the lense..and you are on the right path when you say you have taken many photos to achieve 4 good ones..that means you are doing it correctly . Indirect lighting or outside overcast photos away from trees is ideal also. Direct flash?? Forget it

If you have not read this thread yet..take a gander of an inexpensive light box for about maybe $25 that can be constructed here on this thread by WRF Member Gerrit

Lightbox a great help, making one for less then $ 10-- yourself

You did very well Greg.and thankfully the Model sitting for you did not complain about being hungry or tired. Always perfectly still
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

I used my light box and all the tricks I could think of.
    gregM

myself around.

Wow, you got quite a few of the bases covered in FS blades! Great pics, worth the work. Yes, blades are killers... pun intended, to shoot. ESPECIALLY daggers with the differing blade angles. One will catch the light, and the other the shadow. I'm trying to start a photo how to thread here.

Taking GREAT Shots of Militaria, TIPS, Technical Details, etc. Sticky?

Shots like yours may well be way beyond the scope of that page, but all you can do it try, right?

Personally, I've never been a huge fan of light boxes although they do have their place. When I took photography in college we never used them, we used lights and "scrims", light diffusers. I think one of the problems with the light box is the light is just too close. My wife bought a teepee for the yard a couple years ago, all white canvas, pure diffused light, wow, what a place to shoot!!! I seldom take stuff out there but i have a couple times.

I like natural light myself, and moody shots. All the same, you need enough light to pull it off.

Anyway, awesome scores, awesome collection. I like your panoply of blades, WWI and others, I think I see a Vietnam Mk II at about 2 o clock, Randall at about 3 o clock, what's the BIG honcho in there?

PS You may need a few more of the "Classics", a WWI Bolo for one?

What's at 11am, between the M3 and the Heer dagger, trying to figure that one out?

Quote by Larboard View Post
    What's at 11am, between the M3 and the Heer dagger, trying to figure that one out?
    Thanks
    The big knife is a Case V44. It was designed as a survival machete for aircraft bail out kits but
    many were carried as fighting knives.

The one at 11 o'clock is a John Ek Commando knife. Please check out this thread for more details---
    US fighting knives
    gregM

myself around.

Wow, kickbutt collection, I see you got the Bolo covered. All really nice examples and GREAT shots! I was wondering about that "pigsticker" too, the Kennedy Arms Knife. Great collection, every single one a knife I'd like to get my mitts on...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3