Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

what is this...Fairbairn–Sykes fighting knife ,early?????

Article about: Hi all..just spotted this in local shop...the guy said it was picked up from a battlefield...he knows the guy he got it from and he will ask him next time he sees him.....the blade is pitted

Default what is this...Fairbairn–Sykes fighting knife ,early?????

Hi all..just spotted this in local shop...the guy said it was picked up from a battlefield...he knows the guy he got it from and he will ask him next time he sees him.....the blade is pitted...any ideas..the handle is made from wood....it is well made, no markings, numbers or stamps, we had no measuring tape in the shop...to check the blade lenght, i will be back in next saturday, for more photos, he says it is an Fairbairn–Sykes fighting knife, early issue...dont know about that. So any help would be great ,,thanks in advance. he is looking 100euro for it.
    darren
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture what is this...Fairbairn–Sykes fighting knife ,early?????   what is this...Fairbairn–Sykes fighting knife ,early?????  

what is this...Fairbairn–Sykes fighting knife ,early?????   what is this...Fairbairn–Sykes fighting knife ,early?????  

Genuine FS knife. Usually attributed to use in Far East and also issued to Air crew. It is in a sad state and is worth what you would pay for it. One feature of these knives is the parallel sides to the guard, John.

Thanks Blackpowder your right...i was in contact with the guys on the Fairbairn–Sykes website..they say its a 3rd pattern knife 1943 with bits missing from the scabbard..and it was found in the Loire Valley, france....big place, seen a lot of fighting .....i passed, one sold on ebay this week 230$ pefect condition...

If the grip is made of wood, it is some type of re-work
    - not all that interesting to collectors. Scabbard is
    likely worth more to someone without one.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    If the grip is made of wood, it is some type of re-work
    - not all that interesting to collectors. Scabbard is
    likely worth more to someone without one.........
    Not a re-work at all. Genuine issue knife all be it a little rough. John.

Hello guys,
    Black powder is right of course. It is 100% genuine. I will post a photo of mine. It is said Far East use ,aircrew and dropped for use by th resistance. The point being it is not a rework but the real deal. A bit tired but spot on.

Wood grip - a new one on me.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

There were several variations of the WW2 era wooden gripped F-S knives. I have to say it's nothing short of amazing that the grip survived in the condition it did all those year sitting out in the elements.

Here's mine, same type as the one posted by Darren. It was was purchased from Roy Shadbolt, one of the leading and most respected authorities on these knives. He provides some information here on his fine website: The Wooden Gripped F-S

My example has the full length blade at 6⅞”. The cross guard is the unique straight-sided type found with these knives. The knife has no markings which is typical for this pattern. Both blade and cross guard are blued, with grip and pommel nut painted black. There is a split in the grip, which of course is something wood has a tendency to do.

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Perfectly good SF knife but with some real condition issues.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

I hope the fine moderators here don’t mind my overreach by bumping this thread over to F-S section.

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast