MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

William Rodgers commando dagger and ethnic blades today

Article about: Picked these up today 3 ethnic blades and a Commando dagger was told the dagger is ww2 as it belonged to a veteran but has no markings other than William Rodgers Sheffield England stamped on

Default William Rodgers commando dagger and ethnic blades today

Picked these up today 3 ethnic blades and a Commando dagger was told the dagger is ww2 as it belonged to a veteran but has no markings other than William Rodgers Sheffield England stamped on guard and rouned brass nut to top.I suspect heavily having little knowledge on these this is post war the other blades are African? one with white bone handle has Arabic/Islamic writing to both sides of the blade.The smaller pointed blade with black leather sheath has GW stamped under the catch that hold the blade into the scabbard so suspect a bodged together scabbard from another country.Lets hear what you guys can tell me please.All come from the same source and were apparently came home with the marine after the war.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture William Rodgers commando dagger and ethnic blades today   William Rodgers commando dagger and ethnic blades today  

William Rodgers commando dagger and ethnic blades today   William Rodgers commando dagger and ethnic blades today  

William Rodgers commando dagger and ethnic blades today  

Default Re: William Rodgers commando dagger and ethnic blades today

The one I have marked on a copy of your photo, started life I think as a Dutch bayonet one of the M1895 series. The blade shape and scabbard/frog are quite distinctive.

Can't help with the others.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture William Rodgers commando dagger and ethnic blades today  

Could this possibly be an African (Boer war) used Dutch bayonet from this period then made up out of scraps by tribes people?

I'm not sure if the Boers (in spite of their Dutch origin) used the Dutch Mannlicher Model 1895.

They certainly used Mausers, various British .303 rifles, the M1885 Portuguese Guedes and the Martini-Henry.

Will try and do some more research tomorrow.