Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

A few American Civil War CS (Confederate States) buttons

Article about: Hi, I've had a fascination with the American Civil War, particularly the Confederacy, since childhood (I blame the film "The Undefeated" with John Wayne for that...). The interest

?

Default A few American Civil War CS (Confederate States) buttons

Hi, I've had a fascination with the American Civil War, particularly the Confederacy, since childhood (I blame the film "The Undefeated" with John Wayne for that...). The interest was drowned out by the Second World War for many years, but after watching another film (always a film...) "Cold Mountain" with my wife about 10 years ago the interest was rekindled with a vengeance, since then I've studied the period much more seriously, and visited museums and battlefields in the US. I cannot afford to collect CS uniforms/ flags to bring the history to life, but I can stretch to the occasional button! I hope you like them.

The top button shown is a "Manuscript I" (collector term of course), and is worn. As it was illegal to wear CS buttons after the war I like to think that the wear was wartime! The maker is Halfmann & Taylor, shown lower down in a smaller picture.

The CSA and "Script A" are in excellent/ mint condition and might possibly have come from the Bermuda warehouses after the war where large quantities of unissued imported (from the UK) buttons were 'captured'. As they are gilt covered, as long as they are not damaged they will look practically brand new into eternity for as we know Gold does not oxidise!

Regards, Paul
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A few American Civil War CS (Confederate States) buttons   A few American Civil War CS (Confederate States) buttons  

A few American Civil War CS (Confederate States) buttons   A few American Civil War CS (Confederate States) buttons  

Attached Images Attached Images A few American Civil War CS (Confederate States) buttons  A few American Civil War CS (Confederate States) buttons  A few American Civil War CS (Confederate States) buttons  A few American Civil War CS (Confederate States) buttons 

?

An original CS "Script I" Infantry button, next to a reasonable copy on a reproduction blue-grey "English Army cloth" Richmond Depot 2 CS jacket made by Dan Wambaugh in the USA. I have a few reproduction CS uniforms (and flags), some of the copies are really excellent. This jacket is very similar to one found on the battlefield at Gettysbug, now in the Gettysburg museum.

Confusingly, the CS did issue some blue uniforms too, just not the same shade!

Regards, Paul
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A few American Civil War CS (Confederate States) buttons   A few American Civil War CS (Confederate States) buttons  

Nice buttons. Although I don't know a great deal about the regalia of this period I share your fascination with the American Civil War. I have a few relic bullets that I picked up relatively cheaply so I choose to believe that they were found where they are purported to be from (but who really knows). I also kick myself for not snapping up a relic Union cartridge belt plate at what turned out to be a pretty reasonable price. I find some gratification however if I find an item that although I can't tie specifically to the War, similar items wereused in it (e.g. I have a P53 Enfield socket bayonet and a Lorenz rifle bayonet, both of which were heavily used types). I might try an save for an 1860 model cavalry sabre, as these still seem to be fairly obtainable. Coold buttons anyway.

?

An Artillery Richmond Depot jacket modeled on the John Blair Royal jacket at the Museum of the Confederacy, made by Dan Wambaugh. This is the type of jacket that might have had the "Script A" button on above. However, this has original Union General service buttons, which is actually more accurate as they were very widely used on CS uniforms.

?

This is a copy of the Peter Tait contract jacket, imported from Ireland in 1864. It would have had the "Block A" (Tait marked) buttons on shown above. The shanks were collapsible so that you could pack more in a crate! Sadly, the copies are unavailable so the buttons on it are the closest I could get. Made by Chas Childs of County cloth. I only realized a few years after buying it how accurate it was when a reference book on the jackets was released. The colour is near perfect too.

BTW - I acquired some of the buttons from Nick Periut at 'Army of Tennessee Relics', I recommend him.

Regards, Paul
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A few American Civil War CS (Confederate States) buttons  

A few American Civil War CS (Confederate States) buttons
    This is my great x3 grandfather who was actually in the civil war and you guys have more items than I do...

Jonas MCClain 60th Georgia infantry company E

Some decent buttons there! I used to be collecting CW too-particularly the CSA-and had a ton of time and money into the sabres,flags, etc. All almost impossible to find today. I should have hung onto it all-I could have bought a brand new house today with it! An excellent grouping you've got and in great condition! Well done!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."