Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

cap Rescue: Infantry Alter art with embroidered wreath

Article about: Shea has one of these for sale, in fact. Very nice images. Thanks.

Default cap Rescue: Infantry Alter art with embroidered wreath

Hi

This little beauty came to me courtesy of, and with many thanks, from member M Marcus.

I have been looking to add an example of this to my collection for many a year and as with many things this one was well worth the wait.

Excuse me whilst I wax lyrical for a moment as for me this cap is important in the "development" of the German Army officer field cap for several reasons .

Firstly it is the first issue of the alter art field cap that came on board circa 1934, or crusher, as we in the collecting community like to call them. It is different from the post 1936 version in two ways.....it has the field grey cloth cap band of the Reichswehr era plus the wreath was embroidered straight onto the cap band at manufacture. before 1935 it was worn with the national cockade in the centre but no emblem on the crown.

Secondly this is a real early example of an Offizier kleiderkasse purchase and by the look of things made by Erel.

Finally, as a direct family purchase the cap came with history and the owner was a certain Herr Meyer who was originally an officer in IR6 but by 1939 was the commander of II battalion, IR 287 with the rank of Hauptmann. I also recieved a pack of about 50 field post letters which he had sent home throughout the war and go upto late 1944 from what I can see. I have still to research this side but will add to the thread as I research his letters and link them to the regiments deployment during the war.

To me this is a real "holy grail" item and I hope the pictures do it justice.

Ok, here we go...............

Firstly it came to me really and truely crushed !

cap Rescue: Infantry Alter art with embroidered wreathcap Rescue: Infantry Alter art with embroidered wreathcap Rescue: Infantry Alter art with embroidered wreath

The peak was just about hanging on......

cap Rescue: Infantry Alter art with embroidered wreath

So after a few hours work and a little restoration magic I was able to breath some life back into the saggy old bit of cloth !

cap Rescue: Infantry Alter art with embroidered wreathcap Rescue: Infantry Alter art with embroidered wreathcap Rescue: Infantry Alter art with embroidered wreathcap Rescue: Infantry Alter art with embroidered wreath

I reckon Hauptmann Meyer would cut a dash in this cap.....

cap Rescue: Infantry Alter art with embroidered wreathcap Rescue: Infantry Alter art with embroidered wreathcap Rescue: Infantry Alter art with embroidered wreath

Thanks for looking

cheers

Tony

- - Updated - -

I also need a new camera !

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement cap Rescue: Infantry Alter art with embroidered wreath
    P
    Many

Default Re: cap Rescue: Infantry Alter art with embroidered wreath

It looks great Tony and indeed a great cap to have and with so much history, I would be over the moon if it was mine.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Wow - amazing work on a great cap !

Nice work tony, now I know what cap will be on the cover of your second book!

?

Very nice cap.

Excellent stitch work! now it begs for the cords and buttons to make it live again! Will you be translating the 50 letters also? It should be fascinating to find out where was Meyer stationed and what action he was involved in. Great job!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Yes you do need a new camera, I for one would love to see some closeups of that bullion work as well as better lit shots of the cap as a whole (which I love, by the way!)

Hi Glenn .......camera issues resolved.... a bad workman blaming his tools.....point to self not to operate a camera at 11pm on a friday night after drinking !

News flash.....sunshine in Kent.................

Shots of the wreath up close and the interior to show the construction. really interesting features to include the buckram cap band and a piece of buckram on the front to give the crown support. Hopefully the pictures show the offizier kleiderkasse lettering....it is very faint but definitely there. Oddly ptinted at the front rather than towards the back..........Now I'm fretting about it being a frankie!

Attachment 531968cap Rescue: Infantry Alter art with embroidered wreathcap Rescue: Infantry Alter art with embroidered wreathcap Rescue: Infantry Alter art with embroidered wreathcap Rescue: Infantry Alter art with embroidered wreathcap Rescue: Infantry Alter art with embroidered wreathcap Rescue: Infantry Alter art with embroidered wreathcap Rescue: Infantry Alter art with embroidered wreathcap Rescue: Infantry Alter art with embroidered wreathcap Rescue: Infantry Alter art with embroidered wreathcap Rescue: Infantry Alter art with embroidered wreathcap Rescue: Infantry Alter art with embroidered wreathcap Rescue: Infantry Alter art with embroidered wreathcap Rescue: Infantry Alter art with embroidered wreathAttachment 531970Attachment 531969cap Rescue: Infantry Alter art with embroidered wreath

?

Amazing work on an amazing cap.

I love the early wreath.

Pat

So do I. Interesting to see there is no bullion-work at all, just a fabric wreath.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast