Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Homage to the 1919 pattern field cap....simple but nice

Article about: by spandau Still working on the cog wheel stamp...........any input welcomed. Hi Spandau In the Hitler Jugend Forum on page 38 - there is a patch with (it seems like that) the same kind of c

Default Homage to the 1919 pattern field cap....simple but nice

Hi,

Long time no post !

This is one post I have been waiting to do for a while, only problem was that I did not have the cap I needed to finish the job.

I am pleased to say it is now in my hands and is a 1924 dated version of the field cap.

What follows is a brief history of it's rationale, the dimensions of the cap, an example of each "pattern" supported by original photos from my own collection to show it in wear.

Thanks for looking.

cheers

tony

History..................

The 1919 field cap was similar to the 1917 universal field cap but with specific measurements for its manufacture, a new feature of a field grey cloth peak, and was designed for issue to both officers and other ranks without distinction.

It was also designed so it could be worn under the steel helmet in cold weather. this was a soft cap 8.8cm high and made of field grey fabric. the cloth
    visor was 25cm long and 4.5cm deep at its widest point. the piping around the top was of field grey badge material and was 3mm wide. the cap band was also made of this material and was 3.5cm wide.

the cap initially sported two cockades with a national cockade in the middle of the cap band and the state cockade above. When the reichsadler replaced the national cockade these were removed from the caps and the state cockade was put in their place on the cap band. from then on the cap only had one cockade. this cockade was a cloth version but was often replaced by the troops with a metal one.

Homage to the 1919 pattern field cap....simple but niceHomage to the 1919 pattern field cap....simple but nice

This example is stamped for JR 15 and the prussian cockade shown here is the metal version and there is no evidence underneath that there was ever a cloth cockade attached to the cap. The cap is 8.8cm high.

the cap is lined with cotton and the band has been stiffened with linen.

from 1925 onwards changes were made to the dimensions of the cap and the height was increased to around 9cm

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Homage to the 1919 pattern field cap....simple but nice
    P
    Many

Default Re: Homage to the 1919 pattern field cap....simple but nice

This is stamped for JR 16.

This cap stayed in service right up till the mid 1930's when it was gradually replaced by the 1934 pattern side cap.

Homage to the 1919 pattern field cap....simple but niceHomage to the 1919 pattern field cap....simple but niceHomage to the 1919 pattern field cap....simple but niceHomage to the 1919 pattern field cap....simple but niceHomage to the 1919 pattern field cap....simple but niceHomage to the 1919 pattern field cap....simple but niceHomage to the 1919 pattern field cap....simple but nice

final offering for now of a very happy soldier !

?

Any idea of the meaning of the cog wheel ink stamp Tony? Caps of this era are fascinating due mostly to amount of stamps. The construction is pretty un-remarkable but that's exactly how it should be as they were made with thrift and economy in mind.

Still working on the cog wheel stamp...........any input welcomed.

?

Must be a fake hat then if no one knows what the ink stamp means!
    Don't get me started on stamps....

As the owner was called "Keil" maybe it was his own signature in the guise of a stamp............nautical theme an all !

very nice tony, thank you for sharing!

These caps are so iconic-you see them in almost all the period photos being worn Long after the lad got home from the service. I think it's why they're so tough to find in great shape-the guys wore them to destruction! Great cap!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast