Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Provisional Reichswehr Field Cap

Article about: Festive Greetings, (I agree it's too early yet) but my christmas cap has just arrived so here it is.................... The cap is a 1907 pattern field cap that has been utilised after 1919

Default Provisional Reichswehr Field Cap

Festive Greetings, (I agree it's too early yet) but my christmas cap has just arrived so here it is....................

Provisional Reichswehr Field CapProvisional Reichswehr Field CapProvisional Reichswehr Field CapProvisional Reichswehr Field CapProvisional Reichswehr Field Cap

The cap is a 1907 pattern field cap that has been utilised after 1919 by a member of the armed forces who was retained in the army that became what is known as the provisional reichswehr.

The Provisonal Reichwehr lasted from approx start of the 1919 till 1921 when as per the terms of the Versailles Treaty the army was reduced to 100,000 men. This transitional period ensured that the rather fragile republic had a stable force to call upon during the political upheaval of the early 1920's (alongside the other dubious units grouped under the title Freikorps).

Provisional Reichswehr Field CapProvisional Reichswehr Field CapProvisional Reichswehr Field Cap

The insignia on the cap is the first type and consisted of a six oakleaf metal wreath with a national cockade in the middle of the cap band. The state cockade was to be worn on the top middle of the crown. The insignia was introduced in early 1919 but in september of that year the national cockade was replaced by the reichsadler of the republic on an oval disc.

This cap has interesting metal cockades of a style I have not encountered before.

Internally the cap has a artificial leather sweatband plus a cotton lining. peak is leather as is the caps chin strap. Buttons are sown on.

Provisional Reichswehr Field CapProvisional Reichswehr Field CapProvisional Reichswehr Field CapProvisional Reichswehr Field CapProvisional Reichswehr Field Cap

Cheers

Tony

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Provisional Reichswehr Field Cap
    P
    Many

Here are some more pictures of Imperial caps in wear post 1919 that I picked up whilst researching my book.

They all tell the story of mixed uniforms, badges of hard won experience and testiment to the need to make do and mend following the collapse of the economy in defeat...............these guys were the trail blazers for what was to come....................

Provisional Reichswehr Field CapProvisional Reichswehr Field CapProvisional Reichswehr Field CapProvisional Reichswehr Field Cap

cheers

Tony

Very nice cap!
    Very Christmas like!!;-)
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

These transitional pieces are some of the most intriguing headgear--congrats on another killer score, Tony!
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”