Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

1939 S/42 Luger Matching From George Anderson

Article about: Hi Guys, I have been in contact with George Anderson, About possibly purchasing a 1939 S/42 thats is 100% matching from him. I requested his permission to post his photos on this forum. Ever

Default 1939 S/42 Luger Matching From George Anderson

Hi Guys,

I have been in contact with George Anderson, About possibly purchasing a 1939 S/42 thats is 100% matching from him. I requested his permission to post his photos on this forum.

Everything looks great to me. The only thing that is throwing me off is the grips as they are not serialized. Here is George's description of the grips:

"The right grip is marked with a large "S" and the left grip with a large "R"."

My questions is first off how does this luger look, bluing, 100% original? AND are nonserialized grips correct for a 1939 S/42? Or are they replacement ones?

Thanks everyone!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1939 S/42 Luger Matching From George Anderson   1939 S/42 Luger Matching From George Anderson  

1939 S/42 Luger Matching From George Anderson   1939 S/42 Luger Matching From George Anderson  

1939 S/42 Luger Matching From George Anderson   1939 S/42 Luger Matching From George Anderson  

This luger is a common one. ( Many of them made) The grips I would not worry about. As during it's life time it could have had grips replaced. As for the bluing. I can't make a good evaluation with the photos you have. But it looks a little red. From a gunsmithing stand point this raises a red flag. No Pun intended. It makes me think some parts may have been touched up at some point in it's life. In my opinion I would still own it. It is an all matching luger and over all if it is not priced out of sight I would own it.. Just my Thoughts.

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

Agree with guns ltd. It does look good from what I can depict from your pics. Don't know what the asking price is but I know they are going for quite a premium these days. Hope you can score it for a reasonable price.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Definitely not going to buy it if was possibly touched up. I will ask for more pictures.

John anything in particular I should request for pictures?

Some other info posted below.

John I ask got this reply on another form.

"1939 was a time when Mauser was having trouble with their "hot salt" bluing, having only switched in 1937 late from rust blue.

Many if not most of these dates exhibit reddish hues and loss of color on some parts that did not take as well.

I would agree with your guys assessment- if it were not a 1939 Mauser.

I'd say it is perfectly legit."

I do recall reading about Mauser's problem with bluing. If you get pictures. Over all top sides and front would be good. What is he asking if you don't mind me asking?
    Thanks,
    John
    Quote by Dannyjunkfish View Post
    John I ask got this reply on another form.

"1939 was a time when Mauser was having trouble with their "hot salt" bluing, having only switched in 1937 late from rust blue.

Many if not most of these dates exhibit reddish hues and loss of color on some parts that did not take as well.

I would agree with your guys assessment- if it were not a 1939 Mauser.

I'd say it is perfectly legit."
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

Quote by guns ltd View Post
    I do recall reading about Mauser's problem with bluing. If you get pictures. Over all top sides and front would be good. What is he asking if you don't mind me asking?
    Thanks,
    John
    Priced to be determined.

Will back to you!

Thanks!

I see nothing wrong on this Luger. The grips, as said, may well have been replaced-either period or post war, but they were replaced with proper pieces, so this is nothing to worry about. Pick it up-it's good. Any holster and tools with it?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Nope, just plane. Holsters are pretty expensive for Lugers!