Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

1941 byf Luger

Article about: Hi gents, just got back from Birmingham Militaria Arms fare where I have just picked up this new luger from. While I was there I met up with Ade and we had a walk around and looked at some o

Quote by NunoGTI View Post
    Hi Ben
    It does have black grips, but the finish does not look black.
    I have a Byf 42 Portuguese Navy black widow Luger, and the finish looks darker than yours.
    Maybe its from the photos.
    Cheers
    Nuno
    The finish is hit or miss on all of the Lugers made after mid 1937. That is when they switched from salt rust blue to hot salt blue or dip. I have a 1937 and 38 that look jet black but a 1939 that is lighter, mostly because of wear. Many even picked up a red hue as they aged due to the mix. The term black widow was never a German name for the guns. It is my understanding that it was a marketing ploy used by dealers in the 50's to somehow boost the value. The truth is the bakelite material was used because of speed in production and cost. No other reason. Both the magazine bases and the grips are known to be more fragile.

I dug up some photos. Here is a 1938 I have that I promise you is jet black in person. If you see anything that looks light at all it is the photo.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1941 byf Luger   1941 byf Luger  

1941 byf Luger   1941 byf Luger  

Now that looks like a very nice luger
    Ben

Default Tester

Pics of grips
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1941 byf Luger   1941 byf Luger  

Last edited by Ben Evans; 11-19-2013 at 12:52 PM.
    Ben

Quote by Ben Evans View Post
    I have checked out the grips Doc, one of the first things that I did, they are the proper bakelite grips for the gun
    hi, just a word of advice. i hope you don't mind me saying , but it might be best not to unnecessarily strip down your cherished weapons too far, or too often. it would devalue them if you used wrong sizes screwdrivers etc and marked or chewed up the screw heads. nice looking Luger though . my personal favourite of the Luger range is the kreighoffe Luger, cheers, mike

Cheers Mike, always very careful mate, use the right size driver, keep it flat and dont overtighten etc. I have read that taking off grips is bad anyway, I think the left one tends to break at a certain point?
    Ben

Cheers Mike, always very careful mate, use the right size driver, keep it flat and dont overtighten etc. I have read that taking off grips is bad anyway, I think the left one tends to break at a certain point?
    that's the way to go. i suppose you are aware the stripping/magazine loader tool is an aid to dismantling the Luger but still best to use quality tools. i have a couple of nice mags and tools and a very nice Luger holster. cheers, mike

Any chance you can post pics of the holster in the holster thread for reference?
    Ben

Any chance you can post pics of the holster in the holster thread for reference?
    sure i will take a couple of photos soon but i am not very good on the uploading of pictures though. cheers, mike

1941 byf Luger1941 byf Luger1941 byf LugerAttachment 6003321941 byf Luger1941 byf LugerAttachment 600332
    here are some pics as requested but should it go to the thread you suggested or here ? anyway i hope i get this uploaded right. note this holster does not have p08 embossed on the back. is this unusual ?,1941 byf Luger1941 byf Luger1941 byf Luger cheers, mike

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast