Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

30cal DWM luger vs BYF 9mm no comparison

Article about: This 30cal DWM luger is a tack driver compared to my BYF 9mm,its a real pleasure to shoot.Why did the germans give up accuracy for a more powerful round?I guess because it was a universal ca

Default 30cal DWM luger vs BYF 9mm no comparison

This 30cal DWM luger is a tack driver compared to my BYF 9mm,its a real pleasure to shoot.Why did the germans give up accuracy for a more powerful round?I guess because it was a universal cartridge for many of their weapons.If anyone has shot one of these 30cal lugers they will know what I mean.This is a matching DWM for commercial sales with the GERMANY marking,1920s I believe.All original parts,springs etc.,shoots like a new gun,these are very well made IMO.What do you guys think about these?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 30cal DWM luger vs BYF 9mm no comparison   30cal DWM luger vs BYF 9mm no comparison  

30cal DWM luger vs BYF 9mm no comparison   30cal DWM luger vs BYF 9mm no comparison  

30cal DWM luger vs BYF 9mm no comparison   30cal DWM luger vs BYF 9mm no comparison  

MAP
    ?

I don't own any yet but I think it looks great. Ammo must be expensive!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I have not experienced any accuracy difference between the .30 cal and 9mm. Both are very good and both would accurate hit a target at 21'. A pistol is a defensive weapon and not an offensive weapon. The standardization of caliber is important to any country for military assets. They are both approximately the same cost if reloading.
    John

Thanks Map&John!Must just be me then because the less recoil makes a huge difference,the 9mm is all over the place the 30 much better at any distance.The factory ammo is not too bad really,I got lucky and found 6 boxes of Win super x at a small gunshop a while back that he put on his clearance table for 15.00 a box of 50.He simply couldnt sell it ,not many in these parts have a gun that shoots 30 cal,so grabbed it all,worked for me.Its normally around 25.00-30.00 a box I think.I dont reload but probably should think about it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 30cal DWM luger vs BYF 9mm no comparison   30cal DWM luger vs BYF 9mm no comparison  

Last edited by Toecutter; 01-04-2018 at 05:07 AM. Reason: add text

There was a reduction in caliber from 9mm to 7.65 brought about
    after WWI and the Treaty of Versailles.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Never knew that Steve,thanks for the info!The german mauser broomhandle was 30 cal."Lamar" had one in "Joe Kidd" and John Waynes son Micheal had one in "Big Jake".I think they are a neat caliber and deserve a place in history.Back to the topic,the 30cal luger is more accurate than a 9mm luger.

?

Very nice one TC!!
    On a side note the Broomhandle is 30 Mauser (7.63x25)

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

I'll add I love those flicks also and will watch the rerun of rerun of rerun every time! John Wayne! Sgt Stricker (Sand of Iwo Jima) made me join the Marine Corps!!!!
    You also gotta Love the Clint!!!!!
    Badass actors!!!
    Semper Fi
    Philly Phil In AZ

Luger actually brought out 2 units in 45 Caliber for evaluation by the US Army Pre WWI of course conducted in the Spring of 1907 there were 2 Lugers made in that caliber for the evaluation only 1 survives Serial # 2

Source ~ The Luger Pistol By Fred A Datig Pages 93 - 111
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 30cal DWM luger vs BYF 9mm no comparison  

The original pattern Lugers were in the 7.65mm round which was a high velocity but small/light round that lost power quickly and was a poor 'man stopper' compared to the heavy calibre revolvers of the period-if you needed to shoot some one with a pistol that meant they were close and had to be put down immediately, not just eventually fatally wounded-while sales were made to a number of smaller military buyers, all feedback from the various military trials of the design in the 1900s said that a heavier round was required thus the 9mm Parabellum that was adopted by the Germans for their model-post WW1 export models from Germany had to be in 7.65mm due to restrictions on making and selling military weapons-many of the Finnish m/23 Lugers bought in the 1920s were rebarrelled in 9mm to become effectively P08 equivalents-this was a feature of the general design.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast