Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Any idea of the Value of 1917 Luger?

Article about: My grandfather brought home this 1917 Luger. I have stories of him taking it from a dead german officer. (Note: My grandfather past away when I was a child so my memory is very fuzzy) From w

?

Default Any idea of the Value of 1917 Luger?

My grandfather brought home this 1917 Luger. I have stories of him taking it from a dead german officer. (Note: My grandfather past away when I was a child so my memory is very fuzzy) From what I can tell, I found the number 90 stamped on several pieces and the number 2890 on the bottom part of the barrel. It has 1917 and the letters DWM stamped on top and four characters stamped on the opposite side of the where the safety is. (Note: I have very little understanding of the partsof a firearm.) The gun has it's original holster that includes two tools. One long piece that I assume is to clean the barrel. Another "key" looking piece that I do not know what it is used for. (please refer to the pictures)
    Any idea of the Value of 1917 Luger?Any idea of the Value of 1917 Luger?

Like I said in the Title, does anyone have an idea of value on a piece like this?

?

Default Re: Any idea of the Value of 1917 Luger?

Has it been chromed? If so, it will effect the value.

Holster, cleaning rod, and take down tool still with it is nice to see.

?

Not to my knowledge. It was passed to me when my grandfather passed away.

It is a WWI Artillery Luger and would have been worth a Considerable amount of money had it not been ruined by an apparent chrome plating being done to it. Even so, it does have Some value-if nothing else, than for the holster and tools. As such, in it's present condition, I would still be thinking around the $1500 perhaps as high as $2000 value. Please keep in mind, though, that this is what a dealer would Sell it for and what they would Purchase it for is usually closer to half their selling price. It is, pretty much, a curiosity rather than a collectors item. If it Hadn't been chromed, it would be worth in the neighborhood of 3-4 thousand and quite possibly more. (the "key" piece is for disassembling it)
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

The finish dmages collector value for sure - there are ways to refinish but it will be expensive (also unpredictable), but then it will be refinished, and about the same value as it is currently - so would only work as a labor of love on your part.

I think $1500 is a little low - the holster tool and cleaning rod are worth almost a grand.
    Such a shame - the Luger would be sensational without the chrome.

I make movies, so these chrome plated oddities appeal to me more than most, lol.
    I have a pair of gold plated 1911's I have used on three movies, lol.
    Any idea of the Value of 1917 Luger?

If you come up with a selling price do PM me.

Good luck, regardless - if it was your grandfather's my advice is to keep it, BTW.

Pit.

?

Nikko, IMO - This is a family heirloom, I would not sell it unless there was no other choice.

There appears to be writing on the band around the lower section of the holster, can it be read?

I agree with the chrome finnish. The value is what is stated above on the other posts. They are all in the ball park. The value is what it is worth too you as a family heirloom and the family history that goes with it. It is worth far more to you and your family history. I collect M1 carbines and lugers so I can appreciate these things with the history that goes with them.

?

Quote by guns ltd View Post
    I agree with the chrome finnish. The value is what is stated above on the other posts. They are all in the ball park. The value is what it is worth too you as a family heirloom and the family history that goes with it. It is worth far more to you and your family history. I collect M1 carbines and lugers so I can appreciate these things with the history that goes with them.
    I agree with the above. I wouldn't entertain selling it since it was a family bring back.

You didn't happen to find a snail drum magazine in your grandfather's estate anywhere, did you? It theoretically should have been with this pistol.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast