Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

First Luger , 1915......want to learn about it !

Article about: Hello All ! My first Luger......got in a trade and know very little other then it's a 1915 DVM po8 in 9mm ( hope I got that correct ). I tried looking up the little markings and did not find

Very nice example indeed. Looking at the workmanship and steel that went into these P-08s sure makes me wonder how much we would pay if being made the same today! Even aluminum framed Third Generation S&W models are bringing respectable money from shooters and collectors today.

When the Mitchell Luger was first mooted as a new production version, they were shocked to realise just how much machining and fitting was required to get the action to work-it's a late 19th century design and reflects the supply of relatively cheap, skilled labour needed to make it-even then it wasn't suited for wartime mass production and the Germans needed to use large numbers of cheaper and easier to produce 'pocket pistols' as well as older weapons to make up the required numbers;
    As others have said, the OP's example is a very good one and really shouldn't be risked being shot-it's something that will only increase in value and you can find cheaper examples if you want the experience of shooting one. As weapons, they were intended to be maintained by skilled armourers so can present problems for the casual user after all these years.

PS The logo srcipt on top of the pistol is 'DWM', stands for Deutsche Waffen und Munitionsfabriken, translates into German Weapon/Arms and Munitions factory. They were the major maker of the type before and during WW1.

Thanks for the info. I had to take apart once, just too curious, I was very careful. The gun was dry as a bone and probably not touched in 40 years according to the owner .

I was reading up on YouTube, when you engage the safety , that little part with the German word is suppose to pop up stating its on safety , mine does not.....hope I a, explaining this correctly, lol.

Quote by Joezeta View Post
    Thanks for the info. I had to take apart once, just too curious, I was very careful. The gun was dry as a bone and probably not touched in 40 years according to the owner .

I was reading up on YouTube, when you engage the safety , that little part with the German word is suppose to pop up stating its on safety , mine does not.....hope I a, explaining this correctly, lol.
    When the safety is engaged the word "GESICHERT" on the rear left frame is visible but it doesn't "pop up". When a round is chambered however, the extractor on the breech block "pops up" and the word "GELADEN" is visible on the left side of the extractor.

Looks very nice and all matching
    Ben

Again extremely nice. I agree with above comments from lithgow. These guns are ever increasing in value. Last S/42 WW2 one I saw was priced at two thousand.

Thanks for all the info.

As far as holster and tools, what should I be looking for ? I see a 1915 dated holster on eBay for $400 or best offer , any idea what I should pay?

Holster prices can be all over the place, so it's basically a matter of how nice the condition is, is it unit marked and just how much you personally like and want it, etc. I would advise heavy caution,however, on holster hunting on eBay. Many many fakes are to be found there-both aged and non-aged. I would suggest posting good photos here of any piece that you are looking into purchasing and let the Luger guys take a good look over it and give the thumbs up before you spend your money on it.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Good advice Wagriff. I can imagine some of the stuff being passed off as original these days on E-Bay. $400 sounds like a lot of money to me but often these items go for crazy money if there is a large collector market.

The odd thing is that Nazi era holsters are usually more expensive than Imperial ones-and Luger holsters are never cheap!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2