Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

German Luger

Article about: Hello Guys, I have recently acquired this pistol/holster. As I know little about German stuff (I am passionately into SOVIET), and know even less about firearms, I was thinking and hoping th

Default German Luger

Hello Guys,

I have recently acquired this pistol/holster.

As I know little about German stuff (I am passionately into SOVIET), and know even less about firearms, I was thinking and hoping that you guys, my valued associates, could enlighten me about what I have here.

It is not for sale in any case, as I feel it is a keeper, as it was part of a former US Army veteran's estate, and I have sworn to the family that I would hold it dearly in my collection until my demise...

...really - as it was given to me as a gift in return for assistance in the liquidation of the contents of the aforementioned deceased veteran's household contents.

---------------------------------------------------------------

The holster is dated 1918. Is it possible that this pistol was carried during WWII in it, even though the holster is an earlier type?

The action seems frozen by gummed up oil, and I can not seem to move it or remove the magazine for examination. Also, it seems that the screws that affix the plastic grips are missing.

I wonder why?

Is there a way, or any hope of freeing the action & the magazine, and find the proper screws to secure the grips?

Thanks in advance.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German Luger   German Luger  

German Luger   German Luger  

Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!

jh92
    ?

Default Re: German Luger

I cant give you any real info, but I must say that is one swell luger!!! Well I did notice it is by mauser.

PS - If it is possible to get this thing "running again", I would not mind keeping it as "HOME PROTECTION". IE; something under the night table or under the bed - and showing my wife how to use it - JUST IN CASE...
    Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!

jh92
    ?

lol

1941 Mauser Banner Police Eagle L with sear safety.....nice ....I don't think the grips are original to the gun,but may be valuable if authentic bakelite(If you can photograph the insides of the grips I could tell you). I would like to see the bottom of the mag if possible. Gun looks like it is in rough shape, but these are desirable and expensive firearms.Soak the gun in Break-Free with CLP overnight...will not harm the plastic( take the grips off if you can). Grip screws are easy to find.The holster is Police style not sure of the markings.
    Cheers,
    Jason
    PS many collectors link these to the SS. It is a police issue weapon

Please take more pics . Under the barrel,rear toggle,mag bottom
    ***"E/L Variation 1941: 5915 estimated procurement
    Many of these police accepted Lugers went to the newly created units of the Ordnungspolizei SD, GESTAPO, KRIPO and Einsatzgruppen sent to the occupied countries and territories.The Luger was the main combat caliber(9mm Parabellum) police pistol and hundreds of SS Police battalions saw front line and anti-partisan combat action on the Eastern front( Wotka,1981 p.233)"***
    ***Third Reich Lugers by Jan C Still pg 147
    There are two variations of this gun. Standard chamber date and small chamber date. Yours appears to be the Standard chamber date.

Are you excited yet?! That was a very nice gift. I think it will clean up well You need some 0000 steel wool and about a quart of CLP. Try not to take off too much of the original blue....and don't even think of re-finish. You need to "Gently" remove the rust.

?

Thanks for sharing. I've got no experience in these either - but want to add one to my small collection at some point, too. As was recommended, a good overnight soak in Break-Free should loosen the action.

HDTony
    ?

Richie

What a really nice piece ! Congrats and I agree if you soak it and take the time to clean it well it will come back to working condition. I have a 1918 model and had the same problems with it. It took some time but I did get it working and I love shooting it. Well done and thank you for posting it.

Tony

Quote by RichieC View Post
    PS - If it is possible to get this thing "running again", I would not mind keeping it as "HOME PROTECTION". IE; something under the night table or under the bed - and showing my wife how to use it - JUST IN CASE...
    It looks like you have good'n there!But I think if I were you I would just keep it as a collector piece. Having a qualified gun smith check it out before shooting it would be good to do. And living in the good old U.S A. you have a much larger and better choice of home defense weapons. Go down to the gun shop and check it out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast