Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Help please - possible krieghoff?

Article about: Hi All I recently acquired a 1938 Luger from a fellow collector, it has 'Krieghoff' stamped on the side, the numbers '966' and '66' stamped on most parts (except the side plate which is '69'

?

Default Help please - possible krieghoff?

Hi All

I recently acquired a 1938 Luger from a fellow collector, it has 'Krieghoff' stamped on the side, the numbers '966' and '66' stamped on most parts (except the side plate which is '69') and where the Krieghoff anchor symbol usually appears this shows machining marks as though it was rubbed off at some time. It also appears to have a post-war Austrian army stamp next to the waffen stamps on the side of the gun (it also has post-war platonic grips, but these have no numbering of stamps on the backs)

My questions are as follows:

- could this be a badly messed-up, but genuine, Krieghoff Luger, so bit of a rough diamond?
    - if it is 'faked' or not genuine, is this usual (it cost comparatively little)
    - any advice of what (if anything) should be done to renovate this/improve if is it is genuine?

I should add this is EU spec deact, so cannot be stripped/broken down

Pics are belowHelp please - possible krieghoff?Help please - possible krieghoff?Help please - possible krieghoff?Help please - possible krieghoff?Help please - possible krieghoff?Help please - possible krieghoff?Help please - possible krieghoff?Help please - possible krieghoff?Help please - possible krieghoff?Help please - possible krieghoff?Help please - possible krieghoff?

It has a mixture of parts, the reciever is from a Mauser as well as the Krieghoff part. I wouldn't call it a fake unless it was sold as a Krieghoff! Just a mix and match of parts.

Jonathan.

?

Quote by severin View Post
    It has a mixture of parts, the reciever is from a Mauser as well as the Krieghoff part. I wouldn't call it a fake unless it was sold as a Krieghoff! Just a mix and match of parts.

Jonathan.
    Thanks for this - my only question to your feedback, is that the numbers, apart from the side plate, seem to match - the 966 number is stamped in the same piece of metal frame as the Krieghoff stamp, the 966 & 66 numbers then appear in all other parts (except the side plate). Doesn't that suggest a basically matched gun of original parts here, rather than a mix and match of parts?

The upper part (Mauser) 966 may well have matching numbers, the 966 in front of the trigger guard on the Kreighoff part is force matched to the gun. Probably done at the same time the Mauser markings on the toggle were removed.

Jonathan.

It looks like you have a nice set of brown Bakelite Kreighoff grips which is nice!

?

Great - thanks for the informed feedback, appreciated

I'd say it is a great add to my collection, even if the 'Krieghoff' part is very limited in terms of providence/pedigree of the overall piece.