Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

I have no idea what I have here

Article about: I have been given a Luger that has been passed down to me from my grandfather. I have tried to research its history but Luger history is obviously somewhat complicated. I thought I'd post a

?

Default I have no idea what I have here

I have been given a Luger that has been passed down to me from my grandfather. I have tried to research its history but Luger history is obviously somewhat complicated. I thought I'd post a couple of pics and see if anyone on the forum might have some idea of the date of manufacture etc of the weapon. Thanx

?

There does not seem to be any other stamp marks/proofs on the weapon. Serial number 3948

looks like the top is stamped DWM-Deutsche Waffen und Munitionsfabrike.... Is there a date stamp on the top? The grips look kind of odd. The magazine has a wooden bottom by the looks of it, which could date it to WW1 era If you take the grips off, you may find some markings on them. Lugers are a minefield (no pun intended) there are "better, more knowledgeable" people than me

It appears to be a reworked pre 1913 military. Lack of stock lug and added hold-open date it as pre 1913. If the last two digits of the serial number appear on the bottums of the side plate and take-down lever that would indicate manufacture between 1909 and 1911. The four digit serial number shows it to be military. The lack of firing proofs or acceptance stamps testify to it having been scrubbed or reworked probably in the 1920's. What caliber is it?

?

I am embarrassed to admit that can't tell what caliber it is--and I am a firearms enthusiast and own many firearms!! This thing is an enigma! How can I tell what caliber it is?

?

There are no dates or proofs on the mag that I can find. This has been buried in a collection for prolly 50 years or better

Try loading a 9mm round in the clip....
    cheers, Glenn

very sexy!

Luger magazines will all load either 9mm or .30 cal ammo. Easiest way to check caliber is with a #2 pencil; it will not fit down the bore of a .30 caliber.

Hello mate and welcome to the forum, I would have said a rework with the lack of other markings
    Ben