Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

A Thread on Lugers and Ammo

Article about: Here are some pictures of a nice one - once in my collection. It came with Capture papers and supposedly original holster. (It had been kept in it's holster, so you will notice slight discol

Default A Thread on Lugers and Ammo

The P0.8 Luger, known by just about anyone in the world even those who don't know anything about firearms. In this thread I would like to discuss things that relate to Lugers and any questions anyone has. In todays market, it is hard to find ammo, parts, and even good advice. I'm not sure about you guys, but I hate having to search forum after forum trying to find a simple answer for something related to a Luger.

My first question would be to start things off....

"When ammo is tough to find, (I shoot Winchester White Box) and you need something else to get you through a range day... what else works in your luger?"

I know Lugers are like snowflakes, everyone is different.

Thanks!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A Thread on Lugers and Ammo   A Thread on Lugers and Ammo  

A Thread on Lugers and Ammo   A Thread on Lugers and Ammo  

A Thread on Lugers and Ammo  
    Attached Images Attached Images A Thread on Lugers and Ammo 

Default Re: A Thread on Lugers and Ammo

Great photos...my step-father owns a P08, and I must say that no other firearm feels as good in your hand as the Luger...Such a fine historical weapon!
    cheers, Glenn

hello cody:
    I would use american eagle or S&B Ammo if available. i have used some UMC at times also. please stay away from CCI Blazer. It is junk with Aluminum cases. These lugers can be a little Temperamental at times.
    Call me sometime will ya.
    Just my thoughts,

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

?

I shoot hard cast projos in my P08 when I shot it. I've also shot some NATO marked 9mm in the past and it seems to work fine. However after an ejector broke on one (I was lucky I found and original replacement) I gave up shooting them.

?

It's best to shoot 124 grain bullets and never shoot aluminum or steel cases in a P08. I always use HP or Gecco ammo in mine and never had problems with it. HP give the best results, but Gecco sound a bit nicer (I know, I know, that's irrelevant, but for me that counts too...).
    I shot more than 1000 rounds with the same Luger and it still functions like a new one.
    Sellier & Bellot is certainly not to advice... if you know what I mean...

Hope this helps you,

Adler

John,

I'll give you a call sometime soon! I've been crazy busy. I just can't keep ammo on the shelf long enough to buy myself some!

I saw a guy at the range using Wolf Military Classic 9mm in his P38 and I was wondering how long that was going to work out for him.

Thanks for the advice, I know tons of people are thinking it right now, (Ammo being so hard to get)

Anyone handload? Got any data that is a lot like Winchesters 115gr ?

Even James Stewart found himself a luger!
    Can anyone guess the movie???

Thanks
    Cody
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A Thread on Lugers and Ammo  

I know about this ammo thing. I have the same problem here in my shop.
    I did 'rat Hole" enough 9mm for every gun I have for sale in the shop in that cal.
    I am like you very few luger parts around. So my advise is be careful what you shoot in those lugers.
    Good to hear from you.

John

Quote by NDShooter View Post
    John,

I'll give you a call sometime soon! I've been crazy busy. I just can't keep ammo on the shelf long enough to buy myself some!

I saw a guy at the range using Wolf Military Classic 9mm in his P38 and I was wondering how long that was going to work out for him.

Thanks for the advice, I know tons of people are thinking it right now, (Ammo being so hard to get)

Anyone handload? Got any data that is a lot like Winchesters 115gr ?

Even James Stewart found himself a luger!
    Can anyone guess the movie???

Thanks
    Cody

I actually wouldn't mind having a Luger again... and they are hard to find, nevermind the ammo, parts, and advice. Saw three at a show I just went to, one a "1906 Eagle", whatever that is, I didn't ask to see it out of the case, another was a non matching WWI Artillerie, and the third a matching WWI Artillerie, without holster or extra mag. None that really peaked my interest, I'm looking for a WWII dated gun.

As far as ammo for use in WWII 9mm pistols, I have found the Russian stuff to be just fine in the past, Wolf, Tula, Brown Bear... in fact this stuff very much resembles WWII German ammo, lacquered steel cases. Whether it functions in a Luger is probably dependent on the gun? However, like many (most actually) other WWII pistols I've had, I never shot any of my Lugers, some of which came from a famous Seattle area Luger collector (some of whose pistols are in the Jan Stills most excellent Luger books).

Some of the russian Import guns are around and not as pricy as the bring back guns. If you are looking for a shooter. Reblues and "messed with lugers are good for shooters as they already have value deducted from them as far as collector lugers go. But we all must admit. they are 70 years old or older.
    If you want to see lugers. Look at Rock Island Auction Company Auction that is coming up next week.
    They have a lot of them and some odd ones. They are about 1 1/2 hours drive from me. They called me and asked if I was coming up. Alass, no money to spend on lugers..
    Just my thoughts.

John

I have no interest in reblues (there is nothing worse IMO) or anything messed with, I have lots of desirable trade bait and I'll wait for something local to pop out if the woodwork, but prices can be stupid... I think the last time I saw something interesting in the local paper 1942 "Black Widow" Luger or something like that, the guy wanted $2400. Maybe that's the going price, but if it is, I'll have to wait for a deal, or just live without one ;-)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast