Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

A Thread on Lugers and Ammo

Article about: Here are some pictures of a nice one - once in my collection. It came with Capture papers and supposedly original holster. (It had been kept in it's holster, so you will notice slight discol

Smile Re: A Thread on Lugers and Ammo

Here are some pictures of a nice one - once in my collection.
    It came with Capture papers and supposedly original holster.
    (It had been kept in it's holster, so you will notice slight discolor and pitting, which was loosened with ultra fine wire wool, but still marked the blue - it is no longer stored in it's holster)
    I shot a mag through it of loose WW2 9mm, and that was enough.

*I am not a Luger collector, they're not really exciting to me.
    I feel the P38 to be a far superior combat pistol, and more in keeping with the mechanical and production philosophy of the Third Reich, which is where my collection is focused. The Luger feels like a throw back to another era.

The photo does not do the "straw" bluing on the trigger and mag release "opposing side" justice - it is a wonderful gold color, really amazing.

Pit.

Default Re: A Thread on Lugers and Ammo

Damn nice! That one is a throwback to another era for sure ;-) What did something like that run, if you don't mind me asking?

That is one beautiful Luger.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Some truly great pics and a great thread. Paid about $260 for a 1939 code 42 one back in early 80s. Trouble was some numbskull reblued it ruining collector value. For the price though I could not turn it down. Last one in nice shape I saw was an S/42 for $1800 and that was 4 years back. I am sure prices over $2000 are common now. You can find em but be prepared to pay some heavy bucks.

I put the above Luger and capture papers, holster and two mags on GB for $1500 no reserve, it went for $2400 - Sept. 2012.
    I wanted to put the $'s towards an MG34 semi - which is now in the collection.
    I have been tempted several times by Lugers since then.
    I saw an S42 a little while back, on a Utah classifieds for $1600 - with two mags (non matching) and holster.
    My gunshop had a 60% condition Borchardt for $9500 - which was really tempting, I was about to pawn my car, when it sold to a walk in customer.
    I will stick to heavy metal (MG's and MP's) I like bruised thumbs and blood blisters, lol - but let's see some more Luger pics.
    Pit.

?

Since it's a thread about Lugers and ammo, I was thinking that the next pictures might be interesting too...
    Snaildrum mod 1 and mod 2, snaildrum carrier, Artillerie holster and ammo pouch, box of WW1 ammo, cleaning tool, P08 tool, snaildrum cover, snaildrum adaptor for MP18/1...

Adler

Last edited by Adler; 04-14-2013 at 10:15 AM.

?

Great pics of the hard to find and valuable snail mags.

As for shooting these venerable old war horses, the best will be to reload soft rounds just strong enough to cycle the toggle reloading mechanism.

I realize reloading is not for all, but once you get into it, its quite addicting.

Further more, its good for the mechanism of the the P08 to not use too strong loads, as that might damage the toggle (many P08s have been broken by using hard loads of 9mm) - reloading is also kind on your wallet.

The initial cost of reloading equipment is well worth it.

?

Quote by kilomikesierra1960 View Post
    I have no interest in reblues (there is nothing worse IMO) or anything messed with, I have lots of desirable trade bait and I'll wait for something local to pop out if the woodwork, but prices can be stupid... I think the last time I saw something interesting in the local paper 1942 "Black Widow" Luger or something like that, the guy wanted $2400. Maybe that's the going price, but if it is, I'll have to wait for a deal, or just live without one ;-)
    Luger prices have nowhere to go but up for righteous P08. BUT there are so many humped Luger's out there one must be very careful and knowledgeable about Luger's or you can get badly burned. $2400 for a 1942 Black Widow if correct is not outrageous in todays market.

Yes, probably not a bad price, and probably a good investment, providing it is all correct. Oh, how I wish that same gun would pop up in the paper now, I'd probably jump on it, but last summer I was only interested in Vietnam stuff... I'll bide my time for something else to come along.

I have been reloading for decades and I think it was one of the best investments I have ever made. Like said before, reloading for a Luger can be quite the challenge because if you make a "hot" round and you wreck some parts, your wallet will be hurting also.

I just worked on a luger for a customer recently, and it took months to get the parts I needed and wasnt cheap. Plus, every luger is its own piece of art...

Thanks
    Cody

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast