MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

My favorite 1906 Navy Luger

Article about: This is a 1906 series II Navy Luger Rig. It is all matching including 2 matching mag. It is 98% to include straw and bluing. Bore is brilliant polish. Not all parts of the Rig are displayed

?

Default My favorite 1906 Navy Luger

This is a 1906 series II Navy Luger Rig. It is all matching including 2 matching mag. It is 98% to include straw and bluing. Bore is brilliant polish. Not all parts of the Rig are displayed in this photo and consists of the pistol, double navy leather pouch,cleaning rod, take down tool and holster and shoulder stock. Estimate this Navy is one of 4-5 in the World with 2 matching mags and overall condition at 98%. I will post other in time,but this is my favorite and the highest collectable that I own.My favorite 1906 Navy LugerMy favorite 1906 Navy LugerMy favorite 1906 Navy LugerMy favorite 1906 Navy LugerMy favorite 1906 Navy LugerMy favorite 1906 Navy Luger I did not include the other accessories mentioned as did this in hast. Will include near future with some other interesting Navies, a first Commercial that would have been in the first batch of Lugers ever produced in 1900.

Great looking Navy Rig.
    Thanks for sharing this with us.

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

Looks a very nice pistol, I have been looking in the UK for a Navy luger deac but there are none out there at this moment in time Thanks for showing us a excellent piece
    Ben

?

I should include a brief summary of the Navy 1906's. They were the first Lugers adopted by the German military machine. The first military to ever adopt the Luger was the Swiss. The 06 consisted of 2 series which differed as to the placement of the safety. Series 1 consisted of unmodified, and a modified. Series 2 -the rarest series consisted of a factory modified safety.
    Navies have a 6" barrel and a 200 meter rear sight whereas Artillitaries have a 400 meter rear sight and a 8" barrel. Surprisingly both these 2 have a different feel as to recoil over the usual 4" pistol. Both types have the lug for the adoption of the shoulder stocks. Stocks as relics are legal on only these models and not on 4" pistols. Navies are extremely rare due to the treaty of Versailles post WWI and the fact that most are at the bottom of the sea.
    Other Navies of this time period are the 08, then the 14 series consisting of 1914 thru 1918. All were used in WW1. Most series 14 were not issued with Stocks as standard equipement, had different Holsters equipped for belt carry as the Navy did fight with ground troops . The series 14 were produced in greater numbers, but are still very desirable and rare.

Have you got picture examples of both the safety catches to show as a learning point?

Cheers
    Ben

?

Ben I do not have pictures currently. Easy however to describe and will post some later. Series 1 (unmodified)- Fire lever position is up so that Geishert appears below, Series 1 modified- Geishert has been ground off from the low position and placed above as it appears on Lugers from then on. Fire position has now been changed to lever down. The word Geishert now no longer is factory so the lettering is usually not straight, letters may be inconsistent in size also. Note these series ones modified are the most numerous. The series 2 the Geishert was factory done, it was located above and the fire position lever was down. All series one and two have additional same palm safety. This safety was eliminated in the 08's Navies and thereafter. Will note sometimes series 1 modified are hard to tell from a series two as sometime the gunsmith took additional pride and time in his work. This is easily sorted by close inspection of the area and serial #'s. I will give you a reference " Luger: The Multi National Pistol" by Charles Kenyon jr. This is a very good picture book with very good photo's and far better than I can photograph. Don't forget the Series 1 Navy Lugers were the first Lugers adopted by the German's. This change of safety configuration was done for consistency, and overall safety.

Very nice Navy pistol and rig. Thanks for sharing.

WOW!!! What a spectacular variant. A navy of any kind with two matching mags is rare as hell to begin with. That stock itself.......

I would love to see the holster....they are just so hard to find.I love the first pic, and how you can look right into the rust blue and see the patina and how she has properly aged.

Simply outstanding. Nicest I have seen and seems you would have to go to a high end auction to even find something like this. My Blue Book states that only two thousand were manufactured of this second issue Navy. many thanks for showing us a fantastic piece. Truly a treasure.

Quote by docf View Post
    I will give you a reference " Luger: The Multi National Pistol" by Charles Kenyon jr. This is a very good picture book with very good photo's and far better than I can photograph.
    Thought I would buy the book its £100, that will have to wait lol
    Ben