Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Operation Foxley: Silenced Luger From Abandoned Operation To Kill Hitler Goes On Display.

Article about: Here's a short but interesting article in the Express regarding a silenced PO8 that would have been a part of the abandoned Operation Foxley, a mission to assassinate Adolf Hitler in 1944. I

Default Operation Foxley: Silenced Luger From Abandoned Operation To Kill Hitler Goes On Display.

Here's a short but interesting article in the Express regarding a silenced PO8 that would have been a part of the abandoned Operation Foxley, a mission to assassinate Adolf Hitler in 1944. It was decided at a late stage that it was better for the allied war effort to let him live rather than kill him and have someone more competent take over the running of the war for Germany.

Gun that almost killed Adolf Hitler in daring plot goes on display | UK | News | Daily Express

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

That silencer looks enormous!

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

That would look very nice in my dispaly cabinet with my other lugers
    Ben

I think in total there were 20 attempts to kill Hitler during his tenure, right?

I really think that there would be another more fitting end ,the they really take place in Berlin.

also they had reason alone Hitler could kill Hitler.
    Last edited by another ant; 04-17-2014 at 10:02 PM.
    Jedem das Seine

?

Quote by Woolgar View Post

Nick
    The suppressor is the right size in order to be able to do the job (suppress sound to a degree) with the technology, that they had back then.

In movies, the make-believe 'suppressors' are often tiny (and screw directly INTO the barrel). They often give off only the tiniest of 'PPFFFFFT' sounds, giving generations of movie audiences the impression, that suppressors dampen gun reports far better than they really do.

Keep in mind, that unless the round fired is loaded down (sub sonic), you will still have a substantial report to deal with.

'Silencers' dont silence anything per se. They suppress sound to a degree hence I prefer the other term for the gadgets - suppressor.

How ever in the industry 'silencer' is perfectly acceptable, as both terms are used.

If you want a funky looking handgun, here is a pic of a supposedly early weapon light i.e. a period torch (WWII) attached to a P08.
    Attached Images Attached Images Operation Foxley: Silenced Luger From Abandoned Operation To Kill Hitler Goes On Display. 

I agree the suppressor looks around the right size from my limited experience with them. A home made suppressor a gunsmith friend once created had about 1/2 dozen baffles inserted into it and the report was like a small twig snapping. No hollywood 'pffft' but certainly not enough noise to gain attention.

?

You hit the nail on the head; the sound is suppressed to a degree, where the untrained ear wont perceive it as being a gun shot fired thus not creating attention to the fact, that a shot was fired.

This of course only in 'Sneaky Pete' operations as in the OP.

For civilian use, a suppressor is highly useful, as it (in combination with using hearing protection) can bring down the sound of a report to acceptable levels and thus not damage hearing. Suppressors are also desirable in situations, where you dont want to aggrevate neighbours to hunting grounds or shooting ranges.

Moden suppressors can be very efficient at suppressing sound. One of my favourites is the slabsided 'Osprey.'
    I got a nice talk with the makers of the Osprey at SHOT. Its not exactly a dainty suppressor either, but it works.

?

I always cringe when I hear that "pfffft" shot soundtrack in the movie's. From what I know its more like a chunky "thwack" than a "pfffft" lol. Obviously will always differ based on the variation and caliber of the weapon. Great article Ned, Thanks for sharing! Cheers, Sean.

?

Quote by Woolgar View Post

Nick
    That is about right for a 9 MM and it would still make noise.

load of rubbish.