Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is it possible to trace a luger's history?

Article about: I've inherited a luger, I know that it was a WW11 example, and probably from the North Africa campaign, but I'm interested in the human history. Is it possible to determine what regiment or

Default Is it possible to trace a luger's history?

I've inherited a luger, I know that it was a WW11 example, and probably from the North Africa campaign, but I'm interested in the human history. Is it possible to determine what regiment or even person it was issued to from the numbers? It's stamped 1940 on top of the barrel, and 6SS, or 656 on the right side under 2 of the three eagle stamps. It also has what look like crossed swords - with "O" and "A" in opposite quadrants of the crossed swords - stamped in a couple of places. If it would help, I'll try to post photos. Thanks in anticipation!!

Default Re: Is it possible to trace a luger's history?

Unless it has unit numbers stamped into the handle of it, probably not. With German weapons(along with other European countries) They weren't serial numbered like American weapons were, where you can somewhat trace those ones down. Could post a few pics of the Luger? I'd love to see it

Thanks for that. I've attched a couple of images. I hoped because the germans were such record keepers there may be a chance, maybe not!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is it possible to trace a luger's history?   Is it possible to trace a luger's history?  

Was this Luger a bringback after the war ended or? If so you could possible find out where it picked up by the person who brought it back or someone who knows the story of it. Make sure that one stays in the family. That's one nice Luger you have there . Could you post some more pics of it?

Is that a British proof house stamp ?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is it possible to trace a luger's history?  

It could be, it was decommisioned some time ago. These are the cross swords and letters I mentioned in the first post.

Thanks - probably a Birmingham de-activation stamp.

Yes it was, although the "bringer back" is now deceased, but I know he was in North Africa. I have no more pics at present, but it is definitely staying in the family.

That would make sense it was done in the midlands. Have you any idea wat the other numbers - 50, 560 - would mean?

That would make sense it was done in the midlands. Have you any idea what the other numbers - 50, 560 - would mean?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast