Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Sort of Relic P-08

Article about: Hi all. Thought I would share my one and only P-08 with you. I wasnt sure where to put it as I dont know if its ww1 or ww2 and its not in such bad condition that I felt it should go under ba

Default Sort of Relic P-08

Hi all.

Thought I would share my one and only P-08 with you. I wasnt sure where to put it as I dont know if its ww1 or ww2 and its not in such bad condition that I felt it should go under battlefield archaeology.

Anyway. I dont know the story behind this luger but at some point it has been welded shut. the only part that works is the safety catch. It also looks to have deteriorated at some point (look at the trigger) and has had the grips replaced. The only markings I can see are DWM and 28. The mystery of this pistol for me is that on the trigger guard I can just make out the marking GERMANY, which would suggest that it was made for export, however the words on the safety catch are still written in German, why would an export pistol retain its German words?

I got this from a guy who had had it a long time and collected battlefield relics, so I kind of assume some sort of military connection, although the export marking would contradict that.

Any comments or thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Sort of Relic P-08   Sort of Relic P-08  

Sort of Relic P-08   Sort of Relic P-08  

Sort of Relic P-08   Sort of Relic P-08  

?

Default Re: Sort of Relic P-08

Wow yeah, that trigger looks funky!

Half broken off or something along those lines.....

The gun looks more like a prop than the real thing, but that might just be because of the pic or the flash.

Not wanting to put a downer on anything, without a proper deactivation and proof house stamps your Luger might not be legal.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I dont think those grips help. I dont know when they were added but my guess is that this thing has spent a fairly short time in the ground, but enough time for the grips to rot and someone decided to replace them.

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    Not wanting to put a downer on anything, without a proper deactivation and proof house stamps your Luger might not be legal.
    Ah ok. I will certainly look into it. Cheers.

Quote by Spitace41 View Post
    Ah ok. I will certainly look into it. Cheers.
    Birmingham Gun Barrel Proof House Museum Ammunition Test England UK contact these guys mate!....

Yep, it may have been an export gun with Germany stamped on it. But during the war if a firearm was marked and war broke out it may have never made it to where it was intended to go. It is not uncommon for the safety and loaded chamber indacator to be in German. Most were. The only exception to this is if it was a contract gun to a Foreign Government that specified something else. No Chamber date I would asume. Is it in 9mm or 30 luger?
    Both Calibers were exported.
    Hope this information helps.

John
    I specialize in M1 carbines and Lugers.

'Germany' means it was exported to the US post WW2 at some point-British weapons are marked 'England'.