Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

WWI Lugers used in WWII?

Article about: Hello Everyone, Just wondering what are the odds that my pistol, a 1918 Erfurt Luger was used in both wars? I'm try to trace it back to who brought it back but I'm kind of stuck. I asked the

Default WWI Lugers used in WWII?

Hello Everyone,

Just wondering what are the odds that my pistol, a 1918 Erfurt Luger was used in both wars? I'm try to trace it back to who brought it back but I'm kind of stuck.
    I asked the guy who I bought it from and he pointed me to a family name, and my research has...well as stated got stuck.

Thanks
    Cody
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WWI Lugers used in WWII?  

Default Re: WWI Lugers used in WWII?

Any import marks? if not good chance
    I have luger from 1921 that was brought back. So i would think 1918 could have, got to remember a officer can buy his own. So a father perhaps passed it down. History is probably lost to time. good luck tho!

Just curious are their imperial proofs?

Cody, Certainly, a WWI Luger could quite easily have also been used in WWII as well, and many of them were. For example, if an officer from WWI stayed in the Army and served in both wars, he would most likely have retained his personal sidearm. As for tracking it's personal history for which GI brought it home, it would be almost impossible. Seldom were meticulous records kept, and if they Were, quite often they would simply state "German Pistol" or some such generic scribble on the bring-back papers. IF there even Were bring-back papers, assuming it wasn't a plain old duffelbag special.

Is the button on the clip made of wood or metal? If metal, the clip is probably WWII, but just When it was changed, is anyone's guess.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Is it also marked '1921'-that would indicate that it was retained by the post WW1 German army, the Reichswehr and thence to the WW2 German forces.

Thanks everyone,

No Import Marks, All Matching, Only one date 1918, and has Imperial Markings.
    Also, wood bottom of the mag.
    I'll work on more pics for you all!

Thanks
    Cody

I have a P08 that is a double stamp 1916/1920. But it has a 9mm replacement barrel from WW2 with Waffenampts. I got it from a guy who got it from the widow of a WW2 vet who brought it home.

A lot of lugers from WW1 Were used in WWII. This was not uncommon. A lot of Double dates were reworks. One of my lugers I got from the man that brought it home is a 1920. 9mm. A 1918 at one time was a common luger. they made lots of them. The 1913 deaths head luger is the rare one. I have seen one in my life. These were also faked. (The deaths head part.) Getting back to your 1918. they are bringing real money these days like all lugers. No import marks helps with value. As far as tracing it. It may be almost impossible. I hope this helps.
    John