Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Weimar Period Red Cross Buckle Examples

Article about: 4

Default Re: Weimar period red cross and other buckle

Quote by aechols83 View Post
    Bumping this thread which was of interest to me... I cannot locate what I think was a prior thread on these by Thomas, but here are a couple recently acquired examples including an "O&C ges. gesch." marking for Overhoff. I also find the prongs/claw assembly interesting on the other example. Does anyone have an opinion on whether the presence (or lack of) a brass or gilt roundel indicates rank differentiation?

Best,
    Adam
    Hey Adam that is the first time I have seen a DRK with "ugly claws", I take it they are original to the buckle?
    Ben

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Weimar Period Red Cross Buckle Examples
    P
    Many

Hey, Ben. As far as I know they are original to the buckle... I will try to take some additional photos in a little while.

Here are some additional photos of the "ugly" claws from the unmarked DRK buckle. There seems to be some white chalky residue of some kind under the assembly. Any opinions most welcome
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Weimar Period Red Cross Buckle Examples   Weimar Period Red Cross Buckle Examples  

Weimar Period Red Cross Buckle Examples  
    Last edited by aechols83; 01-14-2011 at 09:05 AM.

Thanks Adam, for me mate that is the first time I have seen ugly claws on anything other than SA buckles, I wonder if there are any other type of buckles with these? maybe David will chime in when reads this thread
    Ben

This rather bizarre/"ugly" claw assembly was actually part of what attracted me to this particular DRK...not the usual shrouded prongs I have seen like on the Overhoff example. Again, I am just assuming these were original to the buckle...but really as long as it's all period I'm happy

Adam, David, et al,

The last RC buckles shown are as far as I can tell standard buckles, The one piece brass prongs are OK as well. I have the identical buckle body w/these prongs on a fireman's buckle. Can show if you like. As to the brass rondel, it looks as if there is some silver in the recesses around the center area. This makes more sense than it being produced in all brass. Hope this helps-both nice buckles by-the-way.

Bill

Thanks Bill, I am happy with the buckles and the prongs its just the fact that I have only ever seen "ugly claws" on SA buckles, if you could post your Firemans buckle with them on it would be interesting many thanks
    Ben

It is good to see this great thread again and thankyou Adam for reviving it.

Anyway, the crude claws! They are horrific, although so very interesting.

I can understand Ben's thoughts, as I think that the main buckles which display this claw arrangement and are seen, are perhaps SA. Having said that, I have seen these claws on certain "civil" buckles to include Red Cross. In addition, these claws are known on Der Stahlhelm buckles and I have attached two examples.

Perhaps the overwhelming majority (all?) of the crude claw buckles have exactly the same box by say the ears, ramped catch and pin? There are however exceptions to the rule. Attached are images of two SA's which have the same design of roundel and box, the latter to include the distinct ears and ramped catch.

Differing claw arrangements and differing pins though!

Regards,

David

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast