Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

40 Year old reproduction insignia

Article about: Hello, Annoyed from this ads?   Lately I have been seeing these old reproduction patches surface as originals. They have been in the US for around 40 years. I first saw them in the earl

Default Re: 40 Year old reproduction insignia

Quote by Fred Green View Post
    Hello,
    . They have been added to reference books too.
    Indeed !

See below... "Cloth insignia of the SA NSDAP" ( Angolia ) - 1985...
    Attached Images Attached Images 40 Year old reproduction insignia 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 40 Year old reproduction insignia
    P
    Many

Fred Green
    ?

Pascal,

This makes it hard for the new collectors! The older established collectors tell them to read the references but thee are lots of reproductions in the touted references. "Uniforms and Traditions of the Wehrmacht" Vol II by Angolia, has all sorts of reproduction eagles in it. I doubt on purpose but as an example.

Fred

Reference books are still a necessity for begining collectors. I agree that rerproductions exist in most older books. The books serve a purpose of giving a collector a begining. After that, he must learn construction, which no book teaches. It also aids the newbie in discovering omitted fantasy pieces.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Fred Green
    ?

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    Reference books are still a necessity for begining collectors. I agree that rerproductions exist in most older books. The books serve a purpose of giving a collector a begining. After that, he must learn construction, which no book teaches. It also aids the newbie in discovering omitted fantasy pieces.
    Hello Bob,

Totally agree. Books are the starting place to give the new collector name, identification, and description of a piece.

Fred

yeah seen these before,nearly fooled ya haha

A very interesting thread, and although i cant relate to any of it as i am not a cloth enthusiast, i understand the jist, as well as certain replies. I do have a question though. If i was considering "getting into" cloth, (i know, sounds bad) after reading this i would have to buy books, read them, then not trust everything i read, then buy more, but not trust those 100% either, collect for ages to get a feel for what i am collecting, get burnt, get lucky, learn - progress - buy fakes, study fakes, study originals....

Naturally i agree 100% with all of the points above, and everything thats been said on this thread so far, i have been there and done it myself, but surely there is also more? assistance in other ways? It is 2013 now and not 1965, we have more tools and understanding.
    The following images are nothing special, just 28x zooms of part of a ribbon. The point is though, these cloth goodies, it is all fair and well "studying construction techniques.." and all that, but has any in-depth study ever been carried out? Otherwise it`s a group of people debating on (sometimes) bad quality Internet images, or what they think they see? After all, if i look at all the insignia on this thread, and as you guys say, as well as IN-PRINT as genuine already, then small comparison images would not be enough to be sure - for me anyway. (i would not have a clue!) You would literally have to collect for decades in order to assemble a half-original collection! And even then, would you be 100% sure?
    When i was doing the "Forensics Chapter" of my book, i strayed (privately) into the cloth section - under extreme magnification, and examined original cloth/insignia/flags/younameit v/s post war, and there were significant differences!

I have no future work planned on Cloth-Forensics, and have no interest in this side of our hobby, just trying to swing the door open for someone who possibly might. Unless in-depth research of this kind has already been carried out on cloth? Apart from the outdated, and proven unreliable tests of: UV-light & burn... ??
    40 Year old reproduction insignia40 Year old reproduction insignia

Quote by Metallwarenfabrik View Post
    but has any in-depth study ever been carried out? ]
    Hmmmm, i guess not then

Unfortunately, most collectors do not want to invest the time and effort in to a detailed study as you have done with enamel badges.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    Unfortunately, most collectors do not want to invest the time and effort in to a detailed study as you have done with enamel badges.
    Unfortunately, i have to agree with you :-( It seems to be that way.

Fred,

Great thread, thank you! What is the tell-tale sign on the Heer cap insignias? I know on the breast eagle there are 4-feathered versions that are fakes (originals should have five) but is there any anomaly with the fake bevo cap eagles?

William Kramer

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast