Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Auction Scam Alert

Article about: A fellow collector notified me that someone in France has posted a picture of my early political leader brownshirt and kepi on an auction site called Militaria321. Whoever it is, he has it l

Default Auction Scam Alert

A fellow collector notified me that someone in France has posted a picture of my early political leader brownshirt and kepi on an auction site called Militaria321. Whoever it is, he has it listed as a SA uniform! The collector posted a picture of the auction for me at WAF. Here is a link to the auction:
    TEST for Bob C. - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums

This is still in my collection and is not residing in France. I was going to join the auction site to see if I could notify the site owner. However, they wanted enough personal information and a crediti card number that someone could use it for identity theft!
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Auction Scam Alert
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Auction Scam Alert

Sounds as if are in on the con or think that you are stupid.
    The thing I hate about the internet is that is almost impossible to get them within reaching distance.

true france is a bit of a distance from the good old US of A do you want me to pop round im only in blighty

Scammers are all over these days it seems. Recently I've received emails from a German guy named Carston Schmidt who has offered up several items listed on Militaria 321 and also on Klaus Butschek's site to me at much higher prices than the listed prices on the websites. I doubt he has any of the items he has tried to sell me in his possession. He uses the same photos that are on the site. I sent him a couple of links to the items he was trying to sell me and inquired why he was asking almost 60 Euro more than Klaus for the same item, and no further response from him. I don't know if he is trying to play middle man and get people to pay for items, buy them from the dealer and sell on at inflated prices or just a scam artist trying get money for items he will never see and you will never receive if you send him any money. His offers were for some relatively common HJ items, perhaps he is seeing if anyone will take the bait before he tries to land the big one with SS or other expensive items. His name again is Carsten Schmidt from Germany. Beware of this guy.

I sent an email to the office of the auction site. We will see if they respond. The buy it now price is so low likely some fool may fall for it.
    BOB

?

Hi All
    This is what I received when I tried to join:

Dear new Militaria321.com member!
    You registered yourself as buyer at Militaria321.com.
    Thank you!
    To complete your registration we need a scanned copy of your passport or your ID card,
    so that we can confirm and activate your account after checking your identity.
    Please send the copy to support@militaria321.com and do not forget
    to add your last name and the user ID you chose during the registration.

No way....
    Regards
    Kevin

I received the following response from the auction site:
    thank you very much, we closed taht account and deleted the auction.
    We wish you a Happy Chrismas, too.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
    support@militaria321.com

At least they acted on the information. I am still bothered by all of the personal information they request.
    BOB

This is pretty trustworthy site and the owners are very strict - they need this information because they do not need scammers there. I understand that it is not a good feeling to send Your personal info to someone but for example You can not buy some items in Germany when You are not 18 and it is quite common that You have to send a scan of Your ID.

Quote by Frundsberg View Post
    This is pretty trustworthy site and the owners are very strict - they need this information because they do not need scammers there. I understand that it is not a good feeling to send Your personal info to someone but for example You can not buy some items in Germany when You are not 18 and it is quite common that You have to send a scan of Your ID.
    I can understand their reasoning. In today's world, one must closely guard their personal information due to the spread of identity theft. Thank you for clarifiying their position. I was pleased with their prompt action in my case.
    BOB

Yes, there is always a risk and I do not feel good when I have to send my personal info to someone. But also ebay is asking for a scans of ID-s and even utility bills etc. I belive militaria321.de is collecting such info for 2 reasons. One reason is that they want to get rid of the scammers and fakers (they have much more reliable supervision service than on ebay - if You will list a fake item as an original it will be deleted pretty quickly) and the 2-nd reason is that want to run their business and so they have to know their customers. Maybe they have to give info to German authorities for example. Sounds bad but that is the world we are living.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast