Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Can anybody tell me what these are?

Article about: The first item is a WHW-VDA Kornblujme (Corn flower, the German national flower) donation badge, distributed on the 16/17.6.34. There were two in the collection, yours, a white metal badge (

ww2fotos
    ?

Default Can anybody tell me what these are?

I was hoping that someobody could tell me what these "tinnies" were for. I am especially interested in #4. I know that is a stylized SS, and an emblem for a foreign SS unit. What else was it? #4 is made from wood, or plastic. The rest are metal. Thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Can anybody tell me what these are?  

2. # ADS

Default Re: Can anybody tell me what these are?

# 1 is from the Volksbund für das Deutschtum im Ausland (VDA) [National League for German Culture Abroad].
    The Sütterlin inscription says: "Den Brüdern im bedrängten Land - warmfühlend Herz, hilfreiche Hand" (= "To the brothers in beset land - warm-feeling heart, helping hand")
    A present-day incarnation of this association still exists under the name of Verein für Deutsche Kulturbeziehungen im Ausland. See Verein für Deutsche Kulturbeziehungen im Ausland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for more.

# 2 is from the Innere Mission [= Inner Mission], a Protestant religious/charitable initiative. See Inner mission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for more.

# 3 is a donation badge from the Winterhilfswerk (WHW) [Winter Relief].
    The inscription says "Aufwärts aus eigener Kraft" (Upwards from one's own strength)

# 4 is not a stylized "SS", but a Wolfsangel (Wolf's Hook). This item is also a WHW donation badge.

Can anybody tell me what these are?Can anybody tell me what these are?My God HPL2008 I can't believe the depth of your knowledge are you a professor of history ? A few days ago I posted a postcard from the 1934 Hochland Hitler Youth camp in 1934 I would love to get a translation of what the young man was saying 75 years ago.Again I am impressed

ww2fotos
    ?

Thanks for your time & help! So the wolfsangel is not another type of SS symbol? What does it represent?

ww2fotos
    ?

Quote by operaman View Post
    Can anybody tell me what these are?Can anybody tell me what these are?My God HPL2008 I can't believe the depth of your knowledge are you a professor of history ? A few days ago I posted a postcard from the 1934 Hochland Hitler Youth camp in 1934 I would love to get a translation of what the young man was saying 75 years ago.Again I am impressed
    Looks like a HJ camp-out in 1934.

Quote by ww2fotos View Post
    Thanks for your time & help! So the wolfsangel is not another type of SS symbol? What does it represent?
    It is a runic symbol.
    cheers
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

My God HPL2008 I can't believe the depth of your knowledge are you a professor of history ?
    Many thanks for your kind words, but I am not, and would never pretend to a historian. I am really just an interested amateur.
    And, truth be told, I did not have that data all crammed into my head. Actually, the only thing I had recognized from memory was the VDA logo, while the Innere Mission tinnie was simply identified by the text on it.
    I could identify the WHW "eagle" tinnie by Google-ing its inscription while the clue to the "Wolfsangel" tinnie was provided by simple gut instinict: I had a feeling it might just be WHW-related too, google-d the search term "WHW Wolfsangel" and came up with other examples.

A few days ago I posted a postcard from the 1934 Hochland Hitler Youth camp in 1934 I would love to get a translation of what the young man was saying 75 years ago.Again I am impressed
    Now you've really got me. Decyphering handwriting is by far my weakest point, especially when it comes to Sütterlin script! (The VDA tinnie with its precise "printed" Sütterlin was a bit easier, but still took me some minutes to read...)
    I gave the postcard a go, but unfortunately, I am afraid there are quite a few blanks left.
    Perhaps other members will be able to fill them in:

"Lieber Alfred!
    Deine
    [...] ist natürlich [...]
    [...] Ich danke Dir bestens dafür.
    Ich habe Dir auch schon längst geant-
    wortet. Es kann nur sein, daß die
    Karte nicht abgegangen ist weil
    ich sie durch
    [...] Jürgen abge-
    schickt habe der die Briefmarke erst
    daraufkleben mußte. Uns geht es
    sehr gut
    [...] dienstliches [...]
    Wetter dürfte besser bleiben.
    Auf Wiedersehen!
    Gruß Karl
    "

...meaning:

"Dear Alfred!
    Of course, your
    [...] is [...] My best thanks for it. I have already answered you quite a while ago. It is only possible that the card was not posted, because I had it mailed by [...] Jürgen, who had to stick the postage stamp on it first. We are very fine here. [...] duty- [...] Weather should stay better. Good Bye! Greetings, Karl."

Thank you so much,I am always fascinated by what these young me are saying,but as you could see this card could be from any young person away at camp.

Looks like a HJ camp-out in 1934.
    Correct; the first Hochlandlager (Highlands Camp) by Murnau in Upper Bavaria.

That's a bit complicated, as the Wolfsangel was/is used in many different design variations with many different meanings by many different groups...

To get you started, see:
    Wolfsangel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Symbols.com - Symbol 15:12
    Symbols.com - Symbol 34:9
    Symbols.com - Symbol 16:19
    Norse Rune Symbols and the Third Reich

and, in German:
    Wolfsangel
    wolfsangel

ww2fotos
    ?

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    Correct; the first Hochlandlager (Highlands Camp) by Murnau in Upper Bavaria.

That's a bit complicated, as the Wolfsangel was/is used in many different design variations with many different meanings by many different groups...

To get you started, see:
    Wolfsangel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Symbols.com - Symbol 15:12
    Symbols.com - Symbol 34:9
    Symbols.com - Symbol 16:19
    Norse Rune Symbols and the Third Reich

and, in German:
    Wolfsangel
    wolfsangel
    I was partially right. The wolfsangel (AKA Donnerkeil) was used by the Dutch Nazi Party, and a British Nazi Party - according to Symbol 34:9.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.