Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Could this be HJ or SA?

Article about: Hello All, I wondered if anyone out there had an idea about this sort of thing? Is there a standard or dimensions markings etc? Regards Jock

Default Could this be HJ or SA?

Hello All,

I wondered if anyone out there had an idea about this sort of thing?

Is there a standard or dimensions markings etc?

Regards

Jock
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Could this be HJ or SA?   Could this be HJ or SA?  

Could this be HJ or SA?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Could this be HJ or SA?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Could this be HJ or SA?

Cheers Phil,

Do you know of any and are they likely to be marked, RZM etc as I can't find any marks except the Maker on the blue triangle in the middle photo?

Jock

will do,thanks again.

?

What is the diameter? And is the snare 'cat gut' cording or metal springs? Are the tops of the tensioning screws triangular or square? And the maker's name?
    Most are not marked, however occasionally they will have a maker's marking. Less often, an RZM marking.
    This style of snare drum was used prior to WWI and older examples are still used by various small private bands to the present. Those used by the military and by official organizations during the III. Reich had a copper metal sheeting covering the wood rims, as well as a different type of tension screw fitting.
    This style can be found in the states for $125-200.--
    Erich

Erich,

It is roughly 32cm across, for the rest see new pictures.
    There is a windy knob affair to the left of the maker mark and there are spring like things allong the bottom and inside the top.

Regards

Jock
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Could this be HJ or SA?   Could this be HJ or SA?  

Could this be HJ or SA?  

Hi Jock, there is a very similar one show in a colour pic in Vol 2 of the "HJ" book by Angolia. Yours looks like a good match.

Cheers, Ade.

Ade,

I haven't got any reference for HJ (not really my bag).

I will put it in the probably ok pile as it has a bit of age to it when you have it in the hand.

It was not much money so no loss!

Regards

Jock

?

Thanks for the additional info. It could be a civilian drum but it's not a military or political example from the III. Reich period. The red/white triangles are pretty much standard. The III. Reich full sized standard pattern examples had triangular heads to the adjustment screws which would be tightened and loosened by means of a matching triangular cutout in the metal fittings at the tops of the drumsticks. The spring type snare, according to Brian at Tomahawk, was not used until after the war--pre 45 drums used gut snares. I haven't run across that maker--is it 'Tambor' but I'll see if I can find them listed anywhere.
    Erich

Hi jock
    There are 2 sizes one is smaller than the other, i think if my memory serves me correctly 15" springs to mind as the one used by the HJ. The larger one I think was used by the main forces, although I could be wrong. Nice items, for not a lot of money i think

Erich, It is 'Tambour' It is old but I guess hard to confirm age as I'm sure bits were replaced as they wore out no doubt? I'm sure there are original HJ still out there being used every year at local Schutzenfests/Oktoberfests!

JMB, it was €15 or 4 beers depending on how you look at it!!