Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

DAF Plaque

Article about: Good info! For me, that puts it to bed. I have never bought one and the lack of fittings and any clear indication of what they were for has always bugged me. My advice to anyone owning one w

Metallwarenfabrik mate you need to adjust to people who do not have as much knowledge as you, and sometimes your posts are a bit hostile to people who are learning and starting.
    Morris

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement DAF Plaque
    P
    Many

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    I have bought numerous examples of this DAF cog wheel whatever it is directly from the hands of veterans as far back as the early 1960's. That is not to say that as evidenced by our compatriate from Switzerland that they were copied and sold in the 1970's. for me, it was an odd thing to fake at the time as there was little interest in daf material. They were likely made as the large swastika would have buffon appeal to individuals who were not serious collectors. There are period original examples and fakes of this piece. i have never heard a plausible reason for their purpose.
    Bob: Do you know what the differences are between the originals and repros? It is agreed that there are originals?
    Metallwarenfabrik: Thank you for all the information that you have provided in this thread.
    I too have one of these and have always wondered what it was used for. I just might have to test it out to see if it is indeed a frisbee.
    Thanks!

Luke

Quote by rogge16 View Post
    Bob: Do you know what the differences are between the originals and repros? It is agreed that there are originals?
    Metallwarenfabrik: Thank you for all the information that you have provided in this thread.
    I too have one of these and have always wondered what it was used for. I just might have to test it out to see if it is indeed a frisbee.
    Thanks!

Luke
    I have no idea. They were never an area of interest for me. In fact, I had no idea they had been reproduced until Jo's post on this thread. Sorry, but determining the differences between real and repro will have to be a study done by others.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Bob: Ok, thank you.

Luke

Quote by Jo Rivett View Post
    Put my money where my mouth is !
    When i cropped the image of the DAF saucer from this forgers catalog, i noticed something else, something i knew i had seen before, but forgot where... anyway, this should hopefully show you how certain i am that everything in this catalog is bogus..
    In May, i posted an image of a cap badge i have, but nobody knows what it is, on a forum, and asked for opinions. Nobody knew, one French guy posted a picture of the same one, saying he also never found out what it was for, from his image it looks good, worn, messing showing through... so where does this leave me? i own a RARE cap badge that only two are known of so far? and mine is mint?

THEN, on page 2 of this 1973 catalog, we find?????

So the last picture should tell you how certain i am

Attachment 361073Attachment 361074Attachment 361075
    Attachment 361076Attachment 361078Attachment 361077
    Hi these badges look to be Finnish shoulder board badges

?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Good info!

My advice to anyone owning one would be to return it.

Cheers, Ade.
    Rectally.

?

Some excellent info and points raised in this thread - not least by 'Metallwarenfabrik.'
    Very interesting - thanks all.
    Another point in regards to other dealers/collectors (not anyone posting in this thread prior to this post) perpetuating the myth about this item or other more high value items being the real thing and not fakes, could be (could be and most likely are) in order to make sure the value of their items are maintained.
    Clearly some fraudulent dealers/collectors go to these lengths without a second thought in order to make a dollar/euro/what ever currency.
    (as mentioned in another now nuked thread (lot of that going around these days), there are some dubious dealers/collectors, who prey on the unsuspecting within this hobby of ours).
    Further more, buy the item - not the story. Use common sense.

?

So, are all aluminum DAF emblems fakes, or are the ones with hardware and plastic bases sometimes genuine?

This plaque was a repro piece. I bought one in the 70s from Delta-International of CA. and its bad!I went looking for one of there catalogs and the plaque,by the time I find them we will be celebrating 2100.

Quote by Jo Rivett View Post
    Put my money where my mouth is !
    When i cropped the image of the DAF saucer from this forgers catalog, i noticed something else, something i knew i had seen before, but forgot where... anyway, this should hopefully show you how certain i am that everything in this catalog is bogus..
    In May, i posted an image of a cap badge i have, but nobody knows what it is, on a forum, and asked for opinions. Nobody knew, one French guy posted a picture of the same one, saying he also never found out what it was for, from his image it looks good, worn, messing showing through... so where does this leave me? i own a RARE cap badge that only two are known of so far? and mine is mint?

THEN, on page 2 of this 1973 catalog, we find?????

So the last picture should tell you how certain i am

Attachment 361073Attachment 361074Attachment 361075
    Attachment 361076Attachment 361078Attachment 361077
    Wait, did you damage the pin? It was used by the Finnish Suojeluskunta (Civil Guard) and it is definitely real, just not of course German.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast