Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Der Rhein Deutschlands Strom Tinnie: Info Help

Article about: Hi, all. I was wondering if anyone could give me a quick bit of info on this tinnie/day badge as I haven't been able to come up with much other than the translation. Thanks, Adam

Question Der Rhein Deutschlands Strom Tinnie: Info Help

Hi, all. I was wondering if anyone could give me a quick bit of info on this tinnie/day badge as I haven't been able to come up with much other than the translation.

Thanks,
    Adam
    Attached Images Attached Images Der Rhein Deutschlands Strom Tinnie: Info Help  Der Rhein Deutschlands Strom Tinnie: Info Help 
    Last edited by aechols83; 08-17-2010 at 01:08 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Der Rhein Deutschlands Strom Tinnie: Info Help
    P
    Many

Default Re: Der Rhein Deutschlands Strom Tinnie: Info Help

The inscription "Der Rhein, Deutschlands Strom" (= "The Rhine, Germany's River") appears to be a reference to "Der Rhein, Deutschlands Strom, nicht Deutschlands Grenze" (= "The Rhine, Germany's River, not Germany's border") which was a work by the German author and poet Ernst Moritz Arndt (1769-1860) in which he demanded the German-speaking Rhineland to be detached from France.
    Arndt had held strong nationalistic, anti-French and anti-Semitic views and thus was held in high regard by the Nazis.

I cannot make a positive ID of the event for which this item was issued, but if I had to make a guess, my theory would be that this tinnie has something to do with the German re-militarization of the Rhineland in 1936.

Perhaps even the well documented NSDAP Hydro-Electric programme ?

Controlling and harnessing the power of the Rhein ??

Regards,

David

Quote by David North View Post
    Perhaps even the well documented NSDAP Hydro-Electric programme ? Controlling and harnessing the power of the Rhein ??
    Interesting idea, but I really don't think that is the answer. A strong fist grabbing a nasty, venomous snake... That's just not the kind of symbolism one would use for harnessing the power of a mighty river.

The forked tail looks a little odd for a snake. Could it possibly be the mythical 'Tatzelwurm' of German, Swiss, Alpine France and Italian folklore?

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thanks for the replies, guys and turning out to be an interesting discussion of what is in my opinion an unusual little day/event badge...never seen one like it before. You'll notice, David that I have corrected my "tinnie" slip

Best,
    Adam

Default Der Rhein Deutschlands Strom

Hens Teeth Adam "...you'll notice, David that I have corrected my "tinnie" slip...", I hope that I do not come across as a finger wagger ! Call these super and often very interesting badges what you are comfortable with. I just feel that these little fellows should be afforded a little more dignity and respect than that given by the clumsy collective of "tinnies".

By the way, I have found this badge in "Tieste" under D for Deutschland and absolutely no information.

Regards,

David

Thanks again for the replies, guys and for the research, David. It has turned out to interesting and enigmatic little piece and by "hen's teeth" (not a term we use a lot in the states) I assume, David that you believe it to be very uncommon/rare. By the way, in no way do you come across as "finger wagging" and I completely agree!

Best,
    Adam

Adam

How right you are - an enigmatic little piece !

I hope that it will only be a matter of time toward your identifying this badge, be it via this (hopefully) or any other discussion group.

Apologies if I perhaps mislead, however I do not think you will be able to retire on the proceeds of any future sale.

Attached is the relevant entry from Tieste and as you can see, a nominal value has been set at Euros 25, suggesting now, add 50% to 65% as a minimum for current market value (in my opinion).

Regards,

David

Thanks for the image, info and opinion, David. Not to worry...not mislead in the least. My only hope was to perhaps acquire this little enigma for a good price and hold onto it for the curiosity, and of course, history. Fingers crossed that I'll be able to get it at this auction for about $25-$30 all incl.
    Yes, hopefully an answer might be generated here first In the meantime, I did post it on WAF but as of yet absolutely nothing!

Anyways...we shall see.
    Thanks again,
    Adam