Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is Deutsche Jägerschaft 50-year Membership Badge real?

Article about: Hi all, this is my first post and I am an amateur collector. I've been trying to go through previous posts about Deutsche Jägerschaft 50-year Membership Badge and I keep reading that it is a

Default Is Deutsche Jägerschaft 50-year Membership Badge real?

Hi all, this is my first post and I am an amateur collector. I've been trying to go through previous posts about Deutsche Jägerschaft 50-year Membership Badge and I keep reading that it is a fantasy and is not real yet I keep coming across it on reputable seller websites. I was about to buy one until I researched a bit deeper. Any information would be of great help! Thank you, I feel safe knowing that I have such well informed members to guide me.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Is Deutsche Jägerschaft 50-year Membership Badge real?
    P
    Many

?

Welcome to the forum!

This type of badge is listed in Tieste 'bible' (p. 755), which suggests that it a period piece. I don't think its a '50 year membership badge' but a badge issued to mark the 50th anniversary of the Deutsche Jägerschaft Ostpreussen. As to the authenticity of the actual badge pictured, you would have to post good pictures of the obverse and reverse.

Why do people suggest that this is a fantasy piece?

Regards, Philip

Showing the rear set up is critical in cases where a badge has been called into doubt, although I also think that this one is an unlikely a target for the fakers....,yet.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Hi guys thanks for the replies. They are actually 3 badges that I'm not too sure about. Here are their front and rear pictures.

?

I'm no expert, but it seems to me that the hardware on the back of the badges is correct for the period and the two outer badges have a nice patina.

Concerning the flugmeldedienst abzeichen, I understand there may be a question mark over these as they are also found numbered and made by Josef Preissler and some suggest that the Otto Schickle badge is a post-war production. I take this information from Jo Rivett's Party Badge book (p. 443). The numbered badge: https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=fl...eichen&imgrc=_

Hopefully you will get some more informed opinions than mine!

As Big Ned suggests, the fakers have tended to concentrate on the high value/more popular items but there instances of even quite common badges of this sort being faked.

I am sorry but I have to disagree with everything I have read here. There have been reproductions/fantasy enamel badges being made for decades. There are fake $5.00 tinnies...so the assertion that fakers tend to concentrate on high value items is a dangerous comment to make to a self admitted novice collector.

The Jagerschaft badge is pure fantasy. Look around the net at all of the other enamel badges like the NSFK, Olympic & Zeppelin badges...they all have the same horrible enamel work with a lot of them using the same makers marks. History also calls this badge into question. Before the NS took over in 1933 the largest hunting organization in Germany was the ADJV...the term 'Deutsche Jagerschaft' wasn't invented until 1934.

These are my opinions...but I have a lot of experience with small badges and enamel. If you truly want to collect enamel badges you would be best served to purchase Jo Rivett's book on the NSDAP party badge. This will open your eyes and you will spot this junk a mile away.

Last comment to this post...and I speak as someone who has written three books...just because someone puts something in a book doesn't mean a hill of beans unless they can back it up. The same can be said for 'well known dealers'...caveat emptor.

Quote by winterhilfswerk Book View Post
    I am sorry but I have to disagree with everything I have read here. There have been reproductions/fantasy enamel badges being made for decades. There are fake $5.00 tinnies...so the assertion that fakers tend to concentrate on high value items is a dangerous comment to make to a self admitted novice collector.

The Jagerschaft badge is pure fantasy. Look around the net at all of the other enamel badges like the NSFK, Olympic & Zeppelin badges...they all have the same horrible enamel work with a lot of them using the same makers marks. History also calls this badge into question. Before the NS took over in 1933 the largest hunting organization in Germany was the ADJV...the term 'Deutsche Jagerschaft' wasn't invented until 1934.

These are my opinions...but I have a lot of experience with small badges and enamel. If you truly want to collect enamel badges you would be best served to purchase Jo Rivett's book on the NSDAP party badge. This will open your eyes and you will spot this junk a mile away.

Last comment to this post...and I speak as someone who has written three books...just because someone puts something in a book doesn't mean a hill of beans unless they can back it up. The same can be said for 'well known dealers'...caveat emptor.
    Well stripe me pink and call me Susan!! Caveat emptor indeed, every day's a school day!!
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

It's pretty pathetic really...I see reproduction Arbeit tinnies floating around...I mean...what is the point?!

I would strongly recommend to anyone that wants to seriously collect TR enamel badges to read Jo Rivett's book. Do not wast your time on JR Cone's book or anyone else for that matter. Jo uses macro scientific imaging to back up his information. A lot of the small enamel badges that have been accepted as original for years are starting to be unmasked as reproductions. It is a lot more in depth field than most casual collectors would believe.

?

It's a shame that a member who knows these badges inside out was banned for speaking his mind.
    Political correctness? Who knows?. An asset to the forum now gone.....this is me speaking my mind.

Regards
    Brett

[QUOTE=DrPMC;1540938] This type of badge is listed in Tieste 'bible' (p. 755), which suggests that it a period piece. I don't think its a '50 year membership badge' but a badge issued to mark the 50th anniversary of the Deutsche Jägerschaft Ostpreussen. As to the authenticity of the actual badge pictured, you would have to post good pictures of the obverse and reverse. Why do people suggest that this is a fantasy piece? /QUOTE]

What it is I would like to know?? I would be pleased to see an actual article about it being published from before the end of the war,
    and shown here at this forum.
    In spite of much material available - in the possession of a friend - there is not any note found this badge actually has existed or was
    introduced.
    I am not an expert, but as I am suspicious, I would like to see it documented from an old newspaper, magazine (especially the
    ones from the Deutsche Jägerschaft) or whatever periodical!! Who is able to make an end too the discussion: original or
    fantasy!

To add some info for the ADJV (Allgemeiner Deutscher Jagdschutz-Verband) and as far as I know about it. This union was along
    with other civil hunting organizations disbanded when the nazis came to power. It was renamed into Reichsbund Deutsche Jäger,
    also known as Reichsbund Deutscher Jägerschaft per July 3, 1934.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast