Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

DRK broche

Article about: hey guys, I just started re-enacting DRK and i was collection my outfit. Now i am looking for a DRK-broche and I found some of them, but i don't know which one is good. Can you please advise

Amling
    ?

Default DRK broche

hey guys,

I just started re-enacting DRK and i was collection my outfit. Now i am looking for a DRK-broche and I found some of them, but i don't know which one is good.

Can you please advise me about the next broches:

1. Militaria321.com - Auktion - DRK helferin mit HK

2. Militaria321.com - Auktion - DRK-Brosche für Helferin

3. Militaria321.com - Auktion - Deutsches Rotes Kreuz Helferin mit HK (4617)

4.Militaria321.com - Auktion - Deutsches Rotes Kreuz Brosche f.Helferin 3.Form D753

5. Militaria321.com - Auktion - DRK Rotkreuz Brosche Helferin emailliert

I think nr. 3 is too shiny or not?

2. # ADS

bindi
    ?

Default Re: DRK broche

How shiney something is, isn't in relation to whether its authentic or not, its one of those things you can tell better from feeling and looking in person. Add to that online auctions are on a buyer beware as people do sell fakes using pictures of originals etc, for my collection I'd rather get a brooch from a reputable dealer, or view at a mil fair.

I couldn't say for definate on any of those brooches if they're all 100% authentic as its a picture of a potential, but they are all fine for re-enactment baring the last one that looks from the picture to need cleaning ? Bar the one that you note is too clean (only real issue I see is the soldering on the rear but again without holding it, its hard to comment). The rest have the correct pin and are in reasonable condition.

Bindi

101combatvet
    ?

These all look very good but I believe them all to be reproductions.

bindi
    ?

Be interested to hear justification on why they're reproductions ? Not only would it help the original poster in her quest. I'd be quite interested as a DRK collector of some years on this shared knowledge.

101combatvet
    ?

Although, I could be wrong I don't recall ever seeing this style of pin configuration before. I have had tons of original TR pins over the years. The raised lettering is always a good sign put that too is reproduced.

Quote by bindi View Post
    Be interested to hear justification on why they're reproductions ? Not only would it help the original poster in her quest. I'd be quite interested as a DRK collector of some years on this shared knowledge.

bindi
    ?

I have that pin configuration on both Helferin and Schwesternhelferin brooches. I also have original lotta brooches with the same type of pin. I do however have I think about 3 (totally 4 types of period back) other styles of clasp on the rear of original brooches, including on my DRK samariterin. I do have a friend who re-enacts DRK and she has a modern (as in bought I think last year) brooch which we have compared with several of mine. The pin on the reverse of hers is a swivel clasp. The most reproduced styles of clasp I have seen is the hooked pin (resembles a closed U where the pin sits) or the clasp that looks like almost a D with an opening for the pin to fit in then sit.

I'm an owner of lots of brooches (including DRK, Helferinnen, RADwj, NSKK, Lotta and of course the habitual never ending collection of WHW tinnies with a collection tin. Thus its interesting to hear anyones perception on reproduced items and their validity.

As for the raised lettering, I did say I'd like to be able to feel the brooches before I purchased. Its not just the lettering its the feel of the enamelling of original brooches compared to modern reproduction. Personally as said I wouldn't buy them on the grounds I like to touch and feel and see before I spend my hard earned.

The choice of course is the original posters, and I've no idea where she's located or indeed where to get a modern reproduced brooch from and if financially they are cheaper? might be worth looking into ?

101combatvet
    ?

Interesting assessment. I agree with you that the best way to determine them as original is to handle them.... sometimes for the three day inspection period. I was going to mention the enameling as well. Although, the following image is a NSDAP party badge I prefer to see this style of pin.

The image was taken off Bill Shea's website. He is a good source for original pins of this nature.