Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

DRK Helferin brooche

Article about: Normally I know the few variants but this one is somewhat different. Could this be some kind of early piece or just a reproduction, thanks in advance.

Default DRK Helferin brooche

Normally I know the few variants but this one is somewhat different. Could this be some kind of early piece or just a reproduction, thanks in advance.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture DRK Helferin brooche  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement DRK Helferin brooche
    P
    Many

CBH
    ?

IMHO, not a fan of the hardware and the lettering and swastika look sloppy to me.

It s one of those pieces at a glance I would normally discount as postwar. And I understand where Chris is coming from. But to play devil's advocate I think it stands a chance. After going through Joe's party badge book I ve learned to give enameled badges a little wider birth. I rather like the appearance of the obverse even though it is somewhat sloppy, it s consistent with some early party badge enamel quality, and seems to have honest wear. The rear setup I learned a lesson on, while discussing a gold HJ member badge thinking that safety catch was not of period production when they were indeed used; the quality of the one on the HJ badge was a little more refined but it was a rolling safety and period correct. For all the help you offer everybody Sid I d love to say conclusively good or bad but I'm personally on the fence. Best regards.

Brian

HJ Honour Badge Wilhelm Deumer

It would be a stretch to look at the enamel work on this stickpin and think clean, as it's rather clumsy even more so the way Jo straightens out the lettering and you see the execution more clearly

DRK Helferin broocheDRK Helferin brooche

Yes this is what makes me thinks, it is enamel and looks sloppy indeed but there is something that also makes me think It could be good.
    I have been searching hours for one just like It, but I haven't found any.
    Last edited by carlsson1982; 10-26-2017 at 05:07 PM.

Haven't really found much more information pertaining to the badge in the op. I had found another helferin badge with a rotating catch but it was obviously a modern reproduction. As I cited before they were used in period, but member Zacker stated in the included thread they were first used on HJ badges in 1939; but when or if they were first used on other badges is anyone's guess. The majority of these as I'm sure most people know who've researched them have a safety pin style catch, which obviously leaves a big question mark looming over this piece. A comparison of the HJ rolling catch vs the Helferin badge and another Helferin badge from Weitze with rather sloppy enamel application for reference. Best regards.

Brian

DRK Helferin broocheDRK Helferin broocheDRK Helferin broocheDRK Helferin brooche

I have seen this style of catch on badges but also on repro's. The one's I had were almost all "alike"..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture DRK Helferin brooche   DRK Helferin brooche  

DRK Helferin brooche  

Honestly in my mind it's the only question mark (the catch). The hinge base looks similar to other DRK badges of the period, and more encouraging is the presence of the tool mark on the back of the pin; usually seen on period badges; and awards especially, which I attribute to the process of forming the shepards hook around the pivot. Best regards.

Brian

DRK Helferin broocheDRK Helferin broocheDRK Helferin brooche
    Last edited by bsiwula1; 10-27-2017 at 12:58 AM.

Also as is typical with me I forgot about these pieces in my collection. Two NSKOV pins the roll catch one I dismissed as postwar, but in retrospect now looking at the two side by side and the RZM markings and pin attachment plate have me believing otherwise. Also compare these period advertisements with samplings of different pin attachment plates from Jo Rivett s party badge book. I think it's quite possible your badge is original Sid. Kindest regards.

Brian

DRK Helferin broocheDRK Helferin broocheDRK Helferin broocheDRK Helferin broocheDRK Helferin brooche

Thanks Brian.