Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dutch Jewish star "Jood"

Article about: Stumbled upon this one today and started wondering if it might be a fake as it´s the first I have encountered (although it looks quite good to me). Best, Jan

Jan
    ?

Default Dutch Jewish star "Jood"

Stumbled upon this one today and started wondering if it might be a fake as it´s the first I have encountered (although it looks quite good to me).

Best,

Jan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Dutch Jewish star "Jood"   Dutch Jewish star "Jood"  

Dutch Jewish star "Jood"  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Dutch Jewish star "Jood"
    P
    Many

Jan
    ?

Done some research on my own and it seems this one is a fake or a theater/film related item. I find it very hard to believe these would be faked but well we live in a strange, sick world...

Best,

Jan

Yes, it does look to be a post war fake. And, yes...we do.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

I must agree with William.

All Holocaust related items like these are highly faked....

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

As Ade has stated, this area is heavily replicated. Countless reproduction and fantasy examples of cloth Holocaust related material are available, many offered as genuine pieces. The Star of David examples are well addressed in Tulkoff's "Counterfeiting The Holocaust" work.

Jan
    ?

Thank you onve again gentlemen!

Best,

Jan

According to the reference book, Counterfeiting the Holocaust, only one variant of the Dutch star "Jood" was ever produced. This example is incorrect in that it has the wrong font as well incorrect material, color and construction. Therefore, it's my opinion that this is a poor post-war reproduction that has been lightly aged with dirt and sunlight. When comparing to known originals, such as the one below, the example originally posted shares absolutely no characteristics besides that it's a Star of David and has to word, Jood, on it. Just by looking at the two it should be quite apparent something is wrong.
    The original below is credited to the USHMM, United States Holocaust memorial museum.
    For sack of conversation, I own a French variant, Juif, which came from their archives. Also, this isn't a "Jewish star", but rather a Star of David. Many other religious groups such as the Christians use this star. Classifying it solely as Jewish is incorrect and a common misconception.
    It should also be noted that all of these stars were a certain size which didn't change, at least this variant didn't, due to regulations. I'd have to verify, but I believe the designated size for the Jood variant was 3 1/2 by 3 1/2. Early on in German occupied Eastern Europe size regulations did change several times, however by the latter point of the war all variants used the size above.

Dutch Jewish star "Jood"
    Last edited by youthcollector1; 01-03-2014 at 03:06 PM.

?

speaking of wierd fakes, there is an antique store near me that has a replica can of xyclon B, complete with nazi markings. I've thought about getting it for the
    displays I do at the schools, but it seems "in poor taste'. what do you guys think?

?

Quote by kwc271 View Post
    speaking of wierd fakes, there is an antique store near me that has a replica can of xyclon B, complete with nazi markings. I've thought about getting it for the
    displays I do at the schools, but it seems "in poor taste'. what do you guys think?
    This is taking the thread way off track - sorry, but we do not need that. I will delete any posts deemed unsuitable and close the thread immediately if the thread does not continue to address the item in question, i.e. the "Jood" star. I have replied to your question via personal message.

Dutch Jewish star "Jood"Dutch Jewish star "Jood"Original Star

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast