Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Fake tinnies

Article about: What are the most frequently faked tinnies?

?

Default Fake tinnies

What are the most frequently faked tinnies?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Fake tinnies
    P
    Many

Haven't seen any.

Hello that is a good question. I personally don't know of any offhand but if you have an interest in tinnies I highly recommend Winterhilfswerk.com Chrys and Joe are fantastic and reputable people to deal with and I believe are active members here on the forum as well. Best regards.

Brian

Reichsparteitag tinnies have been faked with some degree of success among others. After seeing a fake 'Seefahrt ist not' tinnie at one of the shows I am inclined to believe every tinnie that the fakers have in hand and can use for a 'master' will eventually surface in 'new and improved' form if they don't exist already.
    Sometimes the fakers reproduce a pin that is quite obscure to most (Danzig 1st May tinnie comes to mind).
    Most if not all SS tinnies have been reproduced already which is not really a surprise given the prices they usually fetch.
    Some HJ meeting pins also sport their 'body doubles' already as well.

cheers

Matt
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Gau Ehrenzeichen Collector

Our new tinnie book that we are working on right now will have a chapter on reproduction tinnies. I just got in about 4 or 5 (yes I am collecting them for our book!). I have seen fake Tag der Arbeit tinnies...we sell originals for $6.00...can't see any money in faking something that cheap...but they do it.

SS tinnies are the biggest thing that comes to my mind...I'd look at every piece with a high degree of suspicion. Matthew states that the RPT pieces are faked as well...and I would say that is true of the earlier pieces. I haven't seen any fakes personally from 1935 onwards. But it wouldn't surprise me a bit if they are out there.

If you handle enough original pieces reproduction tinnies are pretty easy to spot. The SS ones are harder because they are scarce to begin with...so there is less chance to examine originals. We are hoping that our next book will serve as a nice platform for the English speaking collector to get a better grasp at collecting the tagungsabzeichen.

Cheers all,
    Chrys

Default Fake SA

The only fake ones I have ever seen were so bad its not even worth mentioning... they looked artificially aged, didn't even have backs or pins, wrong dates and it looked like someone just put it through a blender real quick and tried to pass it off.

You haven't seen a good fake then...they are out there and they are getting better. Most SS tinnies are faked really well....most collectors probably would not know the difference.

David-

Can we use this piece in the book? Do you have any others?

Thanks again,
    Chrys

Quote by winterhilfswerk Book View Post
    Can we use this piece in the book? Do you have any others?
    Dear Chrys

Yes and yes - please feel free to use anything that I post on the forum and really, without the need for permission.

Here is another SA fake or perhaps should I say fantasy badge which I still find difficult to recognise as Eastern European imagination and nonsense.

A wonderful obverse and a grim reverse. These badges now appear with irritating regularity on some of the well known European auction sites and it is the obverse clarity and the associated paint detail which I find difficult to correlate with that of a fake.

Regards,

David