Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Fire Sleeve Badge

Article about: Good Afternoon I've come into possession of what i believe to be a Fire Sleeve Badge (albeit with a few moth holes) However all the others examples i can find are a different Eagle design. W

Default Fire Sleeve Badge

Good Afternoon
    I've come into possession of what i believe to be a Fire Sleeve Badge (albeit with a few moth holes)
    However all the others examples i can find are a different Eagle design.
    Would anyone be kind enough to confirm if the badge is original or a repro.
    Many thanks
    Fire Sleeve BadgeFire Sleeve Badge

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Fire Sleeve Badge
    P
    Many

Hello Andy,
    it looks pretty much like a standard Feuerschutzpolizei arm eagle to me.

All the best
    Doug

Fire Sleeve Badge

Thanks Doug - Much appreciated

Neither is Feuerschutzpolizei's. Feuerschutzpolizei ORs' sleeve eagles are embroidered on a specific "Police" shade of green.
    Blue-black backed carmine eagles are for ORs' Feuerwehren, still a fire fighting service but a different branch.

Indeed.

The term Feuerschutzpolizei is often misunderstood and used to refer to any Third Reich-era firefighting service. However, it is more complicated than that:

Fire departments are Feuerwehren. There were - and are - Freiwillige Feuerwehren [volunteer fire departments] (to include Pflichtfeuerwehren [compulsory fire departments]) and Berufsfeuerwehren [professional fire departments].

From 1936 to 1938, the professional and volunteer fire departments had the status of a Polizeiexekutive besonderer Art (roughly "Police executive force of a special status") and were collectively referred to as the Feuerlöschpolizei (Firefighting Police).

After 1938, most of the professional fire departments made up the newly-formed Feuerschutzpolizei [Fire Protection Police], thus becoming part of the police proper and being kitted out with mottled-green police uniforms, while the volunteer fire departments - which retained their dark-blue uniforms - merely had the status of a Technische Hilfspolizei (Technical Auxiliary Police) and were under the supervision of the Hauptamt Ordnungspolizei [Main Office of the Order Police]. (The Technische Nothilfe and Luftschutzpolizei also had that status.)

(Hope I don't come across as an old nitpicker, but this is a bit of a pet peeve of mine.)

My intervention was succinct, too succinct I admit. I can only thank you for your willingness to explain more extensively the historical and organizational context .
    (By the way, I like old nitpickers, they make the difference).