Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Foto identification

Article about: I hope someone is able to assist me with an identification. Help is greatly appreciated. The shown car is a Mercedes-Benz, but I would like to know if this is a limousine from the type 200.

Default Foto identification

I hope someone is able to assist me with an identification.
    Help is greatly appreciated.
    The shown car is a Mercedes-Benz, but I would like to know
    if this is a limousine from the type 200. Who??

Foto identification

The full photo will be shown in a new book!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Foto identification
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Wim,

Sorry I can't help on the model type. But interesting to see that it was converted for rail use.

Regards,

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Hi Wim,

I also think it's a derivative of the 200/260 Stuttgart series with a custom/coach built body. The same shortened wheelbase chassis can be seen on their kubelwagen and W11 off road car.

Foto identification

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thanks Big Ned.

I am totally unknown with cars. For me it looks in some ways as this car:

Foto identification

which is described as a Mercedes-Benz limousine type 200 (W 21).

I tried to contact the mentioned website, but I wasn't answered.

?

Well the first car has 3 windows on each side and the Mercedes-Benz limousine type 200 (W 21) has 2. The first has suicide doors and the other one doesn't seem to (black car color & low quality photo not sure). The first car has a longer wheel base. The radiator grill on the first car is much flater. Mounting location of the headlights is lower. I see many other small differences. I would say the first car is a earlier car. So if they are the same model, the first car is some years earlier.

Quote by Ganer View Post
    Well the first car has 3 windows on each side and the Mercedes-Benz limousine type 200 (W 21) has 2. The first has suicide doors and the other one doesn't seem to (black car color & low quality photo not sure). The first car has a longer wheel base. The radiator grill on the first car is much flater. Mounting location of the headlights is lower. I see many other small differences. I would say the first car is a earlier car. So if they are the same model, the first car is some years earlier.
    I also think it's a derivative of the 200/260 Stuttgart series with a custom/coach built body. The same shortened wheelbase chassis can be seen on their kubelwagen and W11 off road car.

Then what specific model do you have in mind?

Regards, Ned.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thanks guys for your kind answers. The three windows I had not noticed.
    I know the first 200's came in about 1933 or so. Of course this type has been
    changed while it was used on railroad tracks (Schienenauto). Maybe the
    car was a derived 200 "lang" (which often were in use as a taxi) and must have
    been for a higher ranked official, due to the fact the car is guarded by a member
    from the Bahnschutzpolizei.

The shown car with post 1 looks quite new, in my opinion, but must be from about
    1938/1939 or so, due to the symbol as positioned onto the door. The used symbol
    came into being not earlier then 1938, which I cannot reveal here, due to the use
    of this photo in a planned book.

Quote by Wilhelm Saris View Post
    Thanks guys for your kind answers. The three windows I had not noticed.
    I know the first 200's came in about 1933 or so. Of course this type has been
    changed while it was used on railroad tracks (Schienenauto).

The shown car with post 1 looks quite new, in my opinion, but must be from about
    1938/1939 or so, due to the symbol as positioned onto the door. The used symbol
    came into being not earlier then 1938, which I cannot reveal here, due to the use
    of this photo in a planned book.
    Hi Wim,

I think that the car itself may be earlier, from perhaps the beginning of the decade, the type was extant from 1928 to 1936 in a vast array of different versions, including body styles and wheel base lengths. The car WAS also offered in bare chassis form for customers wishing to purchase a car body from an independent coach builder, hence my suggestion it wears a custom/coach built body.

Regards, Ned.

Yes, could be Big Ned, but the period of use was anyway 1938 or later,
    due to the used symbol, which came into being in the course of 1938
    for a national Third Reich state organization. It bears a swastika!!

Maybe this photo helps. More I cannot show, due to an embargo!

Foto identification