Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Found a rare German American Bund (AV) pin.

Article about: It is easier to find chicken lips than it is American German bund stuff. As you might realize most of it was gotten rid of when the war with Germany started for the USA. Most are not aware t

Never mind the font on the armband; the text doesn't even make any sense.

"Amerika schließen Sie" = "America you shut"?!

Also, the word endings in "Amerikadeutschen Volksbundes" would only be correct in the genitive case; the basic form of the term as used outside of a proper sentence is "Amerikadeutscher Volksbund".

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Found a rare German American Bund (AV) pin.
    P
    Many

My grandfather had a manufacturing business located in the German immigrant neighborhood of Chicago. He rented one building from a man who was a Bund member. After Hitler declared war on the USA, someone firebombed the building not knowing my grandfather had nothing to do with the Bund.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    My grandfather had a manufacturing business located in the German immigrant neighborhood of Chicago. He rented one building from a man who was a Bund member. After Hitler declared war on the USA, someone firebombed the building not knowing my grandfather had nothing to do with the Bund.
    There was a swirling cloud of ignorance surrounding the war years.

Over 10,000 German immigrants and even citizens were interred in camps similar to those used for the Japanese, including a number of Jews who had recently escaped from Germany.

Quote by Erno View Post
    Both fonts on the armband are computer generated, but the one I was referring to is the Times New Roman found on the bottom. The facts that the brassard is printed, artificially aged and printed with a computerized font condemn it.

There are lots of similarly aged and printed items found here.
    I am NOT saying this armband is genuine, but the font "Times New Roman" was first used by The Times newspaper on 3 October 1932 (it was based of the font "Times" which was designed in 1931) and the font was commercially released 12 months later so could easily have been typeset and printed on such an armband and cannot be dismissed by that font usage alone!

Using the link you kindly provided I could not find any previous examples of the font used in the top line of text that would lead to the conclusion this text was computer generated?

HPL has provided positive evidence that the German language used is not correct so therefore does seem to condemn the armband from a language point of view.

Notwithstanding the language issue, my concern is that the two colour registration of the logo is too perfect a fit on what IMO would be a screen-printed limited run of fabric prints. From the photo of the armband it does not look to be screen-printed but possibly transfer printed and the whole thing aged.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

?

Quote by StefanM View Post
    I am NOT saying this armband is genuine, but the font "Times New Roman" was first used by The Times newspaper on 3 October 1932 (it was based of the font "Times" which was designed in 1931) and the font was commercially released 12 months later so could easily have been typeset and printed on such an armband and cannot be dismissed by that font usage alone!

Using the link you kindly provided I could not find any previous examples of the font used in the top line of text that would lead to the conclusion this text was computer generated?

HPL has provided positive evidence that the German language used is not correct so therefore does seem to condemn the armband from a language point of view.

Notwithstanding the language issue, my concern is that the two colour registration of the logo is too perfect a fit on what IMO would be a screen-printed limited run of fabric prints. From the photo of the armband it does not look to be screen-printed but possibly transfer printed and the whole thing aged.
    Well, it seems fairly clear that both fonts were created by a computer, but as you said, there are plenty of other things that condemn it besides that.

Quote by Erno View Post
    There was a swirling cloud of ignorance surrounding the war years.

Over 10,000 German immigrants and even citizens were interred in camps similar to those used for the Japanese, including a number of Jews who had recently escaped from Germany.
    I would presume most of those interred were active Bund members and the clouds of war made them a threat to national security. The main meeting hall for the Chicago area bund members was on the 2nd floor above a German bar two blocks north of my grandfather's business. I saw a picture of it in a Bund magazine. It had a flagpole on the roof flying a Nazi flag! The building, now gone, was still there in the 1960's and 70's. I drove by it nightly never knowing the past history it represented.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Quote by Erno View Post
    Well, it seems fairly clear that both fonts were created by a computer, but as you said, there are plenty of other things that condemn it besides that.
    Actually only the one font is clearly created by a computer and it is the 1998 Magneto Bold font used for first line of text: "Amerika schließen Sie". Below is the evidence that supports this conclusion:

I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

?

Actually only the one font is clearly created by a computer and it is the 1998 Magneto Bold font used for first line of text: "Amerika schließen Sie". Below is the evidence that supports this conclusion:
    Well, my reason for concluding that the font is computer generated was not because it didn't exist in the mid-1930s, but because the appearance is obviously that of lettering created by a computer. the spacing, shape, uniformity, etc.

This is the font that I meant.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5