Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

A friend's collection.

Article about: Thanks David but I'm far from an expert on these badges. Along with the 1929 RPT badges and the 31 SA Treffen badges, are the ones that I have done the most research on.

Default Re: A friend's collection.

Finishing off with a Tokarev and a Luger was icing on the cake.
    Thanks again for sharing this great collection.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement A friend's collection.
    P
    Many

ADE is right about the 3rd inf. they are still one of the best in the army still, as for the pistol's I would love to have either one, of course the luger first, but I would love to have the Russian pistol also, they are excellent pistol's, the 2 cooking stoves threw me too, maybe it's for the Betty Crocker division. just kidding, they have to be worth a little bit of money, being that they are old wood stoves. I guess I would check an antique store about those. you think maybe the odd stamp on the luger might be a inspectors mark because lugers had pretty close tolerances. but I'm no expert. your friend really has a great collection, if it wasa me I would have a hard time getting rid of something that a relative brought home, but it's not my decision. thanks again for showing everything, it's a really nice collection.
    regards Marty

Quote by SS gentleman View Post
    I'm not to a fan of the SS officers sleeve eagle. Appears to be a copy like so many snyders treasure fakes? From Snyders fake slection. Just my opinion.
    The highlighted areas are my concerned points. The top bullion is thiner close to the head then it thickens up towards the end. Both Top row bullions thread don't even up. The third row of bullion thread(left side) bullion thread end is curved downward. The right side is not (pointing upward). The black outline thread looks thick and eye is heaver outline. Black thread doesn't match over all wear. Here is another original eagle second one down
    Perhaps one reason the eagle looks misshapen, is that I didn't photograph it straight down, but at a slight angle from the bottom to the top. Your second example actually looks quite similar to the one I've posted, including the upper wing bullion. I have to say that the one I've posted just doesn't look as smashed down, and the bullion is still standing tall. If it were not for the piece of thread attached, (and I didn't really check to see if it was), I'd say it was never used. I can most assure you, this is no fake. I will try and take another photo from more of a perpendicular angle next time I get the chance.

Don't think rephotographing the eagle straight down will straighten out bullion much. Rephotographing it won't sraighten the row three bullion thread. During WWII the Germans had the need for perfection in everything.
    Photo the back side as well

?

So far everything posted has been original and in pretty good condition, i cant see the point of finding one fake amongst the whole lot, especially when the collection came from one vet bring back, as for perfection, its only as perfect as someones stitching or embroidery skills, plus over the years the wollen background may have become misshapen or even slightly shrunk causing the effect you see

A nice collection but I'm not a fan of the 1st type SA Treffen badge. The letter alinement is incorrect and the letters should be impressed.

Quote by Erich S View Post
    A nice collection but I'm not a fan of the 1st type SA Treffen badge. The letter alinement is incorrect and the letters should be impressed.
    Although my photo on the far left isn't as sharp and detailed as the ones on the right, they look to be quite similar. I found the two images on the right on a site that sells German war relics. I should have photographed the backside of mine as well, but didn't have the time, or felt the need to at the time. Like I've said, this man was not a collector of this kind of thing after the war, he just brought this stuff back with him and put it all into a box.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A friend's collection.  

I'm sorry but I don't like either badge pictured.

Here's a photo of an original to compare. This badge is not mine.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A friend's collection.  

Perhaps it is an almost impossible situation when a forum member has so kindly shown a very interesting assemblage from a non collector, complete with a declared provenance and yet - one item has made a few of us feel a tad "uncomfortable".

The first pattern SA Treffen Braunschweig is an extremely rare and underestimated badge in my opinion, having been heavily faked for some considerable time now. The badge has also been intensively researched and discussed.

Rather like Eric, I do not like the SA Treffen Braunschweig originally shown on the thread as it displays the classic and well documented signs of a fake. This of course is extremely odd when considering the origin and again declared provenance of this group.

By the way, I am not an expert on the SA Treffen Braunschweig 1931 badge - Erich however is!

Regards,

David
    Last edited by David North; 01-04-2011 at 08:28 AM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast