Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

German American Bund? Tag 1937 Chicago

Article about: Hello to all! Been a while but I'm seeking information on a recent pickup. I believe I've got a American Bund piece but I'm totally unfamiliar with any pieces related to the organization. Th

Default German American Bund? Tag 1937 Chicago

German American Bund? Tag 1937 ChicagoGerman American Bund? Tag 1937 ChicagoGerman American Bund? Tag 1937 ChicagoGerman American Bund? Tag 1937 ChicagoGerman American Bund? Tag 1937 Chicago Hello to all! Been a while but I'm seeking information on a recent pickup. I believe I've got a American Bund piece but I'm totally unfamiliar with any pieces related to the organization. The tag is a non magnetic alloy possibly brass or coated aluminum with well finished edges and a slot for I'd assume a suspension ring to attach through. I'm including pics of the Reichsparteitag tinnie I picked up along with it (i feel it's a good piece) but is the bund? As usual any and all opinions welcome. Many thanks in advance!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German American Bund? Tag 1937 Chicago
    P
    Many

The slot is likely for a strap, as this piece looks to be a watch fob. The main thing that I see that trips off the alarm bells is the 1937 date. By 1921 or so, the Deutscher Kriegerbund had morphed into the Kyffhäuserbund and technically was long gone by 1937. Perhaps others may know more about the circumstances?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

This appears to be a souvenir watch fob for a delegation of German War Veterans living in the USA that was held in Chicago in 1937. If I understand the inscription correctly, these were given to delegates to the meeting.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Bob got me curious, so I did a quick bit of researching on this piece. Apparently, there were Thousands of German Societies, Clubs, Veterans organizations, etc in the US and Chicago was no slacker in the crowd-it had a Huge number of them as of 1935. The Deutscher Kriegerbund von Chicago (German Veterans' Association of Chicago), were located on 2431 Roosevelt Road, so, apparently, your watch fob is, indeed, from this group and no doubt quite collectable! Check out this website on Only the Chicago area. It's hard to imagine how many there must have been in the Entire US!
    German Clubs and Societies of Chicago
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Thanks so much Bob and William! William that's quite a bit of sleuthing! I did a quick search to try and attain some info on this piece figuring it would of been for a rather large event (if it were real) but yielded no results; and I was concerned with the somewhat grotesque appearance of the depiction of the soldier and overall look of the piece. But I felt the good quality of tinnie at least would give it a chance of being real. I'm very happy to learn of the origins of the piece and more than glad I picked it up! Many thanks to you guys, I knew you wouldn't let me down. Best regards.

Brian

Very interesting info.
    did not know so many Germans did come to the US after the war.
    chris

I've come across similar items from German veterans of the 1870-71 Franco-Prussian War living in the US...
    cheers, Glenn

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    I've come across similar items from German veterans of the 1870-71 Franco-Prussian War living in the US...
    cheers, Glenn
    Interesting.
    chris

I highly recommend this reference if you have even a remote interest in German-American Bund uniforms, insignia, and regalia:
    Attached Images Attached Images German American Bund? Tag 1937 Chicago 
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

Thank you Very much stonemint. I do have a definite interest in these items and until now, was unaware of this book, so I will be looking to purchase a copy. As always much appreciated and than you. Best regards.

Brian

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast