Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

German American Bund? Tag 1937 Chicago

Article about: Hello to all! Been a while but I'm seeking information on a recent pickup. I believe I've got a American Bund piece but I'm totally unfamiliar with any pieces related to the organization. Th

My grandfather had a business on Western Av. in Chicago. One of the buildings he used was rented from a German-American Bund member. One block north of his business was a building that housed a bar on the first floor and a meeting hall on the second floor. I have seen a period picture of this building with a flag pole on the roof and a standard political flag flying from the staff in Chicago. It was a meeting place for the Bund. When Hitler declared war on the USA, someone bombed the building grandfather was renting providing him with a fairly large insurance claim.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German American Bund? Tag 1937 Chicago
    P
    Many

Hello Bob thanks for the reply and story! I figured a lot of the items associated with the bund found some pretty dark hiding places upon our entry into the war, especially after seeing the treatment the Japanese received (post pearl harbor) but that is just my guess. It was just luck stumbling on to this little trinket I love it, although someone looking at my collection as a whole would probably just span past it i find it to be one of the most interesting. I m excited to get the book shown by Mr. Stonemint to see some other examples of bund regalia perhaps I can talk my wife into buying it as a Christmas present? But I did find it fascinating the amount of said clubs in the Chicago area as found by Mr. William great info added by all who responded. And appreciated for sure. Thank you guys!

I have read there were 50,000+ Bund members in Chicago at its peak. Soldier Field, where the Chicago Bears Football Team play, was a site of large marches and gatherings.

Congrats on your nice find!

Mark
    In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. CE

?

Interesting item and info. Thanks all.

Many thanks gentleman! Good to hear from you Mark been awhile, I ve picked up three more party badges since we last spoke. Curses to you and your thread for that micro addiction lol just kidding (about the curses not the badge addiction that is). I truly do appreciate all the help you all have been. Happy holidays to all best regards.

Brian

Hey Brian

LOL, no need to apologize about the curses Afterall, I'm used to it, I'm married. Glad you had a chance to find some more Party badges, they are truly a fun thing to collect and challenging to find some of the makers.

Mark
    In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. CE

Quote by Greenhorn View Post
    I have read there were 50,000+ Bund members in Chicago at its peak. Soldier Field, where the Chicago Bears Football Team play, was a site of large marches and gatherings.

Congrats on your nice find!

Mark
    Walter Payton would grace this same place 50 years later:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German American Bund? Tag 1937 Chicago  
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

Quote by stonemint View Post
    Walter Payton would grace this same place 50 years later:
    Ah yes, there's the picture! To think, all the games and concerts I have seen there and didn't realize all this history that passed years before. Thanks for posting the pic. And having grown up here, and working in the LOOP (downtown among the tall buildings) you'd think there would be some talk or evidence of the Bund years. This part of history has been wiped clean from Chicago history, unless you dig really deep.

And don't forget also, there were many a portrait of Benito Mussolini hanging on an American wall back then too....oddly enough, they seemed to suddenly vanish overnight...
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    And don't forget also, there were many a portrait of Benito Mussolini hanging on an American wall back then too....oddly enough, they seemed to suddenly vanish overnight...
    I bet it did vanish overnight. Folks here don't like to talk about unpleasantries, they just bury the skeletons in the closet and forget about it. There must be some nice items in the basements of Grand and Harlem. I'd imagine all cities, in the States, completely did away with and reminders of the TR. A shame really, it's part of the city's history.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast