Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

German Horse Riding Badge

Article about: Dear Friends, please your opinions of this badge, original?. Thanks in advance

Default German Horse Riding Badge

Dear Friends, please your opinions of this badge, original?. Thanks in advance

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement German Horse Riding Badge
    P
    Many

Default Re: German Horse Riding Badge

What is your own opinion on this badge Jose?
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    What is your own opinion on this badge Jose?
    Hola Ned, in my opinion is not original

Quote by belgrano View Post
    Hola Ned, in my opinion is not original
    What precisely are your concerns regarding this Reitabzeichen, what problems do you see?

Regards, Ned.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    What precisely are your concerns regarding this Reitabzeichen, what problems do you see?

Regards, Ned.
    Hola Ned, I do not understand anything about this badge, so ask about the

Saludos
    Jose Luis

Hello Jose,
    I do not see any problems with the badge.....but what a peculiar twist to the flat pin.
    I would like to see a better close up of the back just to make sure there is no evidence of casting but it does look good.
    All the best
    Doug

Quote by Saladin View Post
    Hello Jose,
    I do not see any problems with the badge.....but what a peculiar twist to the flat pin.
    I would like to see a better close up of the back just to make sure there is no evidence of casting but it does look good.
    All the best
    Doug
    Hi Doug & Jose,

This badge was produced in the tens of thousands over the years, indeed it is still awarded today minus the letter 'R' on the obverse. Why would you be looking for evidence of it being cast? The badge it self is not a military piece, it was awarded to civilians who passed a very basic series of tests in horsemanship and was made of a type of bronze or brass (later during the war it was produced using zinc) as it was the first in a series of three badges that could be awarded, although to hold the Gold level the awardee would have to be a professional horseman.

The badge is a nice early award by the Lauer company with the early type of rear set up. I would imagine the pin was deliberately twisted by the owner so that it fitted in the catch more tightly. It is also a rarer type in that it does not have a small star embossed immediately after the last word 'Geschutzt' and is therefore pre war, may be as early as 1933.

Soldiers of Cavalry regiments for instance would have been holders of the silver award at minimum and this was a lot harder to earn than the basic bronze, with the skills required and difficulty being much higher, the gold even more so.

As mentioned earlier, the 'R' was removed from the obverse of the badge after the war. Many think it stood for 'Reiter', but it was actually 'Reich' and therefore best dropped!

The other maker of these, and still is today, is the company of Steinhauer & Luck, but there is a way to tell the difference between the two makers just by glancing at the front of the badge. On the Lauer ones the riders right elbow is visible behind his back, on the S&L types it is not (see below). I hope this helps.

Tally Ho!, Ned.

Lauer badge (note right elbow).

Steinhauer & Luck badge (sans right elbow).

I will tell you this Ned, you may not realise it but you never cease to amaze me with your funny wit and endless source of information.
    Keep it up
    Rod

Hello Ned,
    the badge is reproduced and the reverse is always a let down. The info you have is excellent..always happy to learn more.
    BUT I wonder if you have stumbled on something in reference to the star marking.
    I wonder if that marking is an early quality control mark or just a space filler as suggested.
    Have a look at my cyclist proficiency badge which has a couple of stars :https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/non-c...eichen-273829/

or this thread where the star marking is discussed:
    https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/nsdap...eichen-271159/

In reference to cavalry regiment members. I do have a few photos somewhere with some cavalry chaps but none of them are wearing their qualification badges! Perhaps it was something not to wear during combat! I will dig them out and pop them on this thread.

All the best
    Doug

Here's an interesting photo of SS-Gruppenfuhrer Hermann Fegelein, married to Eva Braun's sister Gretl, he is seen here wearing the Reitabzeichen in Gold. He oversaw the preparation of the courses and facilities for the equestrian events of the Berlin Olympic Games in 1936 and was shot for desertion 2 days before Hitler committed suicide on the Fuhrer's direct orders.

Regards, Ned.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German Horse Riding Badge