Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

View Poll Results: How do you approach displaying your pieces? (flags, uniforms, etc.)

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • I don't usually show people, or display it.

12 12.63%
  • I don't display it, but will show people I know will understand. and find it interesting

22 23.16%
  • I display it, but only in an office or back room.

38 40.00%
  • I display my stuff proudly for all to see.

23 24.21%
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

How do people react when they see your Nazi displays?

Article about: I stopped caring for other peoples opinions a long time ago. The only people that see my collection are my family members anyway, but I don't see a reason to hide my items if someone else co

?

Very interesting thread , i keep my small collection in a black case and whenever i feel like a browse i click it open and have a good look at what i have collected , for me it is always like opening a box of wonders. My late father did the same thing he had a drawer full of various militaria items not just German but U.S aswell , and he would often spend a good hour or so every few days looking at his collection. I have taken ladies home on a few occasions and have shown them my collection , one replied with what are you doing with all that nazi sh*t which i chose never to see her again (lol) , and the others were fairly open minded about it. I see it as collecting a piece of history and nothing more , they are very desirable items to me and i have always liked the eagle & swaz design. And find there is also more of a differed variety of items to collect with TR militaria.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement How do people react when they see your Nazi displays?
    P
    Many

I use to display a few daggers in the living room, never got asked a thing by anybody. But my wife said her friends use to ask her what it was all about when I wasn't there.
    I started to worry more about 'mothers' gossiping, wrong 'ears' working out its worth a few quid and then robbing me when im out.
    That's the reason I don't display, but its quite difficult unless you live in a mansion with a secret bat cave.
    matty

I display it all out in the open, I cannot stand the thought of having other people dictating to me what I can and cannot display in my own home --- to quote Bill Hicks; "I mean, the nerve...".
    As for party flags/banners -- I only have one podium style example and it sits on top of my IKEA Detolf cabinet... no other place to display it at the moment, really. I have my Hitler bust, NSDAP armbands and party badges out in the open in my Detolf cabinet as well.
    If I can't display it and enjoy looking at it whenever I want without feeling "guilty" I could never have justified spending this much money on this collecting habit of mine --- to me that would be more like hoarding objects deemed "shameful" by others for the sheer quantity or pure financial investment. I enjoy my items both for their aesthetics and historical context --- quantity doesn't really matter as long as I have quality, and the investment part is just a bonus/nice insurance policy knowing that I can at least recoup my money if need be.

That said, I certainly do understand the wariness some might feel regarding just hanging up a large screaming red flag with a huge swastika on it--- I am actually at the point myself where i am looking to diversify as even I feel my collection has become a bit too one-sided for a historical display (not in the politically correct sense, mind you) --- planning on doing some US and Japanese stuff to begin with.

Either way, bottom line for me is that you should do what you feel like --- if you can't do that and feel restricted by the uneducated opinions of strangers, then... why bother.

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    I only have visitors who know me personally. In the 1960's, many vets displayed their German war souvenirs proudly in their places of business. My first gray SS officer visor cap came out of the front window of a hardware store on the south side of Chicago. It is a recent phenomena that has placed a stigma on this material likely due to the use of swastika insignia by white power and skin head groups. We of course know that these type could never afford to have a real collection.
    My only concern was when I had a dear friend visit and saw my collection room. He is Jewish and his father and mother were both survivors. Knowing me for a long time, he and his wife had no ill feelings towards me or my collection and found it historicaly interesting. I do not believe in, endorse or promote anything that was endorsed by the 3rd Reich. For anyone who would take a negative view of myself for part of what I collect, they are not friends and their opinion to me carries no merit.
    First off, thank you sir for this post. Second of all, as some may know my mother is(better yet was prior to her death at 58 last month) Jewish...thus making me Jewish. I can say with full confidence my family not only respects my hobby, but embraces it. In fact, my Mother bought several "Nazi" items for me including a Luftwaffe cap with swastika(insert shocked face here) Also, both her fathers, who were obviously Jewish, fought in the war including one whom stormed Normandy beach on D-Day and afterwards even collected Thrid Reich artifacts, honestly. I understand the perspective from a Jewish person who maybe fearful of one who collects these things, but with the right explanation MOST, IMO, will be grateful for it. My reasoning for collecting tr memorabilia as a Jewish man is as simple as the nazi party's history is intertwine with my own. There will always be a connection between the two in my opinion.
    I also know many other Jewish individuals who collect, even here such as FB, and I can only assume they collect for the same or similar reasons as I do.
    Anyways, most intelligent persons will know white power enthusiast can't afford this stuff as you said and those who do collect it do so for the history.
    Last edited by youthcollector1; 06-17-2014 at 10:08 AM.

?

I think it all depends on what you collect, if you only collect 3rd Reich and display the items openly, then sometime in the future someone will have doubts as to your beliefs, but if you collect items ,say from WW2 in general, ie English, American, Japanese, German, then people will see that its history you collect, but to display a large party flag, whether its in your home or elsewhere and can be seen by any visitors, then i tend to think you invite unwelcome comments, what a person does in their own home is their business but you should be prepared to face what others see you for, rightly or wrongly, even family members may have silent views

Quote by youthcollector1 View Post
    First off, thank you sir for this post. Second of all, as some may know my mother is(better yet was prior to her death at 58 last month) Jewish...thus making me Jewish. I can say with full confidence my family not only respects my hobby, but embraces it. In fact, my Mother bought several "Nazi" items for me including a Luftwaffe cap with swastika(insert shocked face here) Also, both her fathers, who were obviously Jewish, fought in the war including one whom stormed Normandy beach on D-Day and afterwards even collected Thrid Reich artifacts, honestly. I understand the perspective from a Jewish person who maybe fearful of one who collects these things, but with the right explanation MOST, IMO, will be grateful for it. My reasoning for collecting tr memorabilia as a Jewish man is as simple as the nazi party's history is intertwine with my own. There will always be a connection between the two in my opinion.
    I also know many other Jewish individuals who collect, even here such as FB, and I can only assume they collect for the same reasons as I do.
    Anyways, most intelligent persons will know white power enthusiast can't afford this stuff as you said and those who do collect it do so for the history.
    My paternal grandmother was a German Jew so I also would likely not have been in favor during the 3rd Reich. It is my understanding that their family name was changed from Affelbaum to Affelberg when they emigrated to the USA.
    As a note of caution, it is not always wise to display your collection in the living area of your house where visitors can see it. Collections are often stolen not by associates, but by individuals they mention it to.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Being from a career military family...My father and my step-father both retired as career soldiers, it was/is normal in our circle of "Army Brats" to see militaria being part of the décor...Of course we also had the best combat gear in our neighborhood "wars", lol...Just a different perspective...
    cheers, Glenn
    Last edited by bigmacglenn; 06-15-2014 at 05:54 PM.

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    My paternal grandmother was a German Jew so I also would likely not have been in favor during the 3rd Reich. It is my understanding that their family name was changed from Affelbaum to Affelberg when they emigrated to the USA.
    As a note of caution, it is not always wise to display your collection in the living area of your house where visitors can see it. Collections are often stolen not by associates, but by individuals they mention it to.
    Ours changed from Feldmann to Feldman. They too were German Jews.

My collection is not displayed for the sole reason my wife won't let me !

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Unfortunately, much as i'd like to, I find it rather difficult to hide certain parts of my collection in a cookie tin under the bed......

How do people react when they see your Nazi displays?
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast