Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

View Poll Results: How do you approach displaying your pieces? (flags, uniforms, etc.)

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • I don't usually show people, or display it.

12 12.63%
  • I don't display it, but will show people I know will understand. and find it interesting

22 23.16%
  • I display it, but only in an office or back room.

38 40.00%
  • I display my stuff proudly for all to see.

23 24.21%
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

How do people react when they see your Nazi displays?

Article about: I stopped caring for other peoples opinions a long time ago. The only people that see my collection are my family members anyway, but I don't see a reason to hide my items if someone else co

I have yet to see anyone talking about inviting veterans over and deliberately taunting them with Nazi symbology... where did that analogy come from?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement How do people react when they see your Nazi displays?
    P
    Many

To be fair, if I had a flag somehow representing extremist Jihad, I wouldn't at all consider hanging that. These folks are still out there, and there are people currently being harmed by these groups. They are not a defeated regime from 75 years ago that once represented a country that radically has changed to today (for the better), they're very much working out their ideology right now, today. Though your point is taken, this strikes me as a vastly different circumstance.

Side note:
    I'm reminded of the picture I saw of a German destroyer shortly after 9/11/01, displaying messages of friendship and condolences off the side of the ship for American warships passing by. To imagine over 60 years time, so much had changed, it's staggering. Kind of gives you goosebumps too. Humans get things wrong from time to time, horribly wrong periodically, but are so resilient at healing old wounds.

Quote by Erno View Post
    Elitism could be read into such comments, but at the same time, the people making them are the ones being indirectly attacked by articles like the above. No one would be faulted for asking a collector why he collects Nazi memorabilia; the problem arises when assumptions and accusations are made at the expense of someone's character. It's the same way that metal detector hobbyists are called looters and grave robbers, regardless of whether or not they're guilty of such actions. It all comes from the cultural elites in academia who believe that they are uniquely qualified to handle such items, or decide who can.

Edit: To clarify, I'd like to know if the author of the above article advocates destroying such items. If not, then he must be in favor of their placement in a museum or other like environment, where they can be looked after by other, similarly 'qualified' individuals. This is the elitism to which I refer: the belief that these items should be owned, just not by you.
    If the last question is a serious one, I am sure the author of the article is contactable via email at the academic institution referred to at the foot of the article I posted for discussion.

Without introducing another tangent to this thread, someone once said "Collectors are the real looters" and I fully agree with that statement. Hypocritically though it hasn't stopped me being an avid collector in my chosen field.
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

It may just be a mental justification in my mind, but I'd feel more a looter if I had something of say Hitler's like an outfit or hat. If there's thousands of the same flag out there, and I have one, it's not preventing anyone from seeing it in a museum, or school history class. There are ample for any museum or educational institution to find and acquire them.

Something of a recognizable personal item from a significant player in WWII history, I have to admit I'd feel a bit guilty keeping that to myself, assuming I'd really want an item like that.

It is interesting the hear how much has changed when the reality is how sadly very little has actually changed, the ideology behind the Nazi regime, defeated almost 70 years ago, is ever present today expressed in the nazi graffiti daubed on Jewish cemeteries and memorials around the world and in the antisemitic online space. We supposedly collect to remember and to learn but what has it taught us?
    I collect, therefore I am.

Nothing in science can explain how consciousness arose from matter.

A sense of Stewardship for Military/Historic Artifacts and an Opportunity to Educate have always accompanied my collecting passion...
    As I stated earlier, I'm from a career military family and grew up with other career military families on bases worldwide, so seeing Military items openly displayed is quite the norm in these circles...But certainly no NS-Flag, lol...
    Call me odd, but I like to think that some of the spirits of these old soldiers appreciate my way of remembering them and for taking care of their memories, long after others have forgotten them...
    cheers, Glenn

Quote by StefanM View Post
    It is interesting the hear how much has changed when the reality is how sadly very little has actually changed, the ideology behind the Nazi regime, defeated almost 70 years ago, is ever present today expressed in the nazi graffiti daubed on Jewish cemeteries and memorials around the world and in the antisemitic online space. We supposedly collect to remember and to learn but what has it taught us?
    Yeah, I've heard about that. People want to hurt others, and will use the most destructive means at their disposal to do it. The third Reich was about more than anti semitism though, lest we forget their larger fascist ambitions. Most people that would use the swastika to do harm today, likely choose it because it is the most offensive symbol at their disposal, without any understanding of what it really meant. They just use it like a sharp knife to cut away at those they hate.

It's a good point though. I wouldn't want to get misjudged by that standard.

3rd Reich material can only be collected today due to the fact that the monstorous regime was defeated and it's horrors exposed. Since I began collecting in the 1950's, I always looked upon these artifacts as symbols of victory over one of history's worst regimes.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    3rd Reich material can only be collected today due to the fact that the monstorous regime was defeated and it's horrors exposed. Since I began collecting in the 1950's, I always looked upon these artifacts as symbols of victory over one of history's worst regimes.
    Totally agree.

?

>>How do people react when they see your Nazi displays?<<

I do not display Nazi's. I display historical artifacts in a tasteful manner which promotes questions on the era and the history in which they were used.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast