Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

How to prevent mothing ?

Article about: Gentleman and fellow collectors.. I have read and seen a few if not many posts about mothing or nip bites.. I have never witnessed a moth in my house... Why and how does this happen and what

Quote by asterperious View Post
    to the subject at hand: microclimates in storage are a real concern and what it means is that the conditions around your artifact can be radically divergent from the ambient conditions in the storage area. e.g. the conditions under your bedsheets after a night of chili and beer will be very different from the bedroom conditions. Plastics, unless conservation grade, and inert can cause a host of direct ind indirect issues. Reactive plastics such as dry cleaning bags will introduce gases to the microclimate that are often very damaging to metals and other plastics or organics like celluloid. They can also create high humidity if temperature fluctuations are occurrent and that can stimulate mold growth, fibre swelling, fungus etc. These are generalities as every storage area and region have their own unique considerations.

The notes I linked to before cover this in detail but here is good layman's guide: North Carolina Museum of History > Collections > How to Care for Your Artifacts > How to Care for Your Textiles
    Thank you for the informed comments and your professional manner in doing so.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement How to prevent mothing ?
    P
    Many

Hate to see feelings hurt here, especially between such fine members of the forum. You are the example for all of us.

Comments made lightly, or however they are made (I say silly things all the time, and luckily most of the time on one pays much attention) can be taken in a way they were never meant be taken, never meant to hurt or insult. But sometimes with the internet, jokes or just a light remark can be taken in a way that is much more inflammatory than it was ever meant to be. A particular mood (we all have them...), lack of sleep, health issues such as pain and other life problems, can also help turn an innocent post into more than it really was. Every action has a reaction, sometimes it just isn't the one we envisioned.

The main thing is to not escalate conflict if you feel it is happening. This is not always easy, it is a lesson to be learned every day.

It is important to remember that we (some of us obsessed collectors and budding historians) are dealing with war and mass murder all the time, and this can- and will unless you are very detached - take its toll on your emotions. The constant thought of war can make you feel combative, which is only normal. I can feel myself being agitated or disturbed reading about certain if not all aspects of the war.

Back to combating moth problems and preserving priceless history! ;-)

Undoubtedly when storing these artifacts, a quality material is a must, for it should not hurt the items it is meant to protect. At the same time, items such as these uniform suits and hats must be preserved from the vagaries of everyday home life, dust, airborne cooking grease, industrial pollution, smoke, as well as sunlight, humidity that plagues certain climates, or even excessive dryness...

It is quite a responsibility and burden to do it correctly, as well wanting to see and enjoy the items at the same time.

Quote by Larboard View Post
    Hate to see feelings hurt here, especially between such fine members of the forum. You are the example for all of us.

Comments made lightly, or however they are made (I say silly things all the time, and luckily most of the time on one pays much attention) can be taken in a way they were never meant be taken, never meant to hurt or insult. But sometimes with the internet, jokes or just a light remark can be taken in a way that is much more inflammatory than it was ever meant to be. A particular mood (we all have them...), lack of sleep, health issues such as pain and other life problems, can also help turn an innocent post into more than it really was.

The main thing is to not escalate conflict if you feel it is happening. This is not always easy, it is a lesson to be learned every day.

It is important to remember that we (some of us obsessed collectors and budding historians) are dealing with war and mass murder all the time, and this can- and will unless you are very detached - take its toll on your emotions. The constant thought of war can make you feel combative, which is only normal. I can feel myself being agitated or disturbed reading about certain if not all aspects of the war.
    Please let it go, move on, it's done.

Regards, Ned
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

I am sorry for any hardship fella's... This was not my intention... TC... G
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

?

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Well, I'm in the far North by the Canada border and they thrive just fine up this way, so I imagine that just about anywhere in the US they'll be found. I was told that they were found in bags of dry dog food in the local store here and that was how I had the great fortune to encounter them, but who knows. They can come in from any number of sources or simply fly in your door sometimes. They are about the size of your little fingernail and are amazing acrobats and strategic defense fighters. They change tactics and Never repeat unsuccessful ones tried previously. They even change appearance over several generations-at one point, I recall, they developed transparent wings, so if they turned suddenly in mid-air, it would be like they vanished. Even today, if I see a common tiny moth go past a light or the TV here, I immediately get up and kill it. All you need is One to meet another one, and you've got thousands of armor coated eggs that can sit for a half a year before hatching, and no pest or poison spray can penetrate the shells of the eggs. The eggs look like microscopic white dust. Do a Google on these demonic moths-the end cost here ran me up over an $800 bill and even then, the pro exterminator had to come back several times at 18 months. At one point, I half contemplated setting the house on fire and turning it in to the insurance company....
    Thanks William for that info!

Now I hope we are all Back on track and that NOBODY feels insulted or disrespected. Which I am sure the greater minded individual now understand. I would like to bring a tid bit of humor to this thread. Like William has mentioned about dispatching the vermin we see fluttering about.

When a Moth appears in my house, I arm my kids(4) with fly swatters and send them on seek and destroy missions like we are hunting Mothra
    How to prevent mothing ?

They laugh about my obsession on finding the culprit invader but it does turn out to be a quite humorous hunt as we try to be the great Bwana of the moth hunt.

Semper Fi my friends and colleges! Lets keep this on the lighter side of life

Phil

Quote by Gwar View Post
    I am sorry for any hardship fella's... This was not my intention... TC... G
    Certainly we know that none of this was your intention. When I retired, I built a cedar lined closet and collection room to drive off the little critters. As I do not think any further information is forthcoming, I feel this thread has run its course and is closed
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5