Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Nazi pennant & Hitler plaque

Article about: Here are some "homemade" type items from my collection of HJ insignia. A Landjahr "Schwert und Schole" patch, an armband, a Sigrune from Jungbann 1/201 Berlin Moabit, and

Default Nazi pennant & Hitler plaque

Can anyone tell me anything about this pennant, 'liberated' by my wifes grandfather in 1945 along with this Hitler plaque.
    Sorry about the poor quality pictures but they were taken some years ago after finally persuading him to let me photograph them.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Nazi pennant & Hitler plaque   Nazi pennant & Hitler plaque  

Nazi pennant & Hitler plaque   Nazi pennant & Hitler plaque  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Nazi pennant & Hitler plaque
    P
    Many

?

Default re: Nazi pennant & Hitler plaque

The pennant, i believe could be a Hitler Youth pennant, hence the single rune. However the the crude design and the cavalry mount on the reverse has me concerned...it looks home made, or possibly by a youth. Better qualified people should chime in as well, this is very interesting! I do believe it is period made.

Both are good original items.

The plaque was something any German could buy to display at home.

The pennant is for the DJ, the section of the Hitler Youth for younger boys. These often feature regional themed designs on the back.

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks for that chaps, it certainly has that 'home made' look to it.

What does DJ stand for Ade?

Sorry Rob, it stands for Deutsche Jungvolk. Boys aged 10 to 14 were in that before joining the HJ (Hitler Jugend or Hitler Youth)

Cheers, Ade.

Nice original item. As Ade said, some of the early youth oriented flags and pennants included a theme that had either historical or local significance. Many of these items were home made.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

I like the pennant. If you have lots of time and do a search of a German Heraldry site you may possibly be able to locate a figure like the one depicted on the pennant to help establish a geographic location that the pennant might have been used at.

?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Sorry Rob, it stands for Deutsche Jungvolk. Boys aged 10 to 14 were in that before joining the HJ (Hitler Jugend or Hitler Youth)

Cheers, Ade.
    Adrian is spot on, the DJ were boys aged 10-14 years. The natural progression would be to continue into the HJ, the older boys aged 14-17 years.

Regards,

Carl

p.s. Very nice pennant.

?

Regarding the "home made" theme of some of the DJ items, this is very true. A good example of this would be the kettle drum (see attached photograph) that could be made anywhere, so long as it met specific size regulations such as for example, that the drum must measure 38cm diameter. Note how the drum in the picture is painted with a black and white triangular trim pattern, as was used by the DJ, whereas the HJ drum pattern would be red and white. This gives us such wonderful "personal" items like the one shown above, adding a nice touch to an already impressive piece.

Regards,

Carl
    Attached Images Attached Images Nazi pennant & Hitler plaque 

'Red' shows up as 'black' in B&W photos.............
    Regards,

Steve.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast