Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Need help with tunic

Article about: Alright, here are my two cents (but please bear in mind that this is not my area of expertise): As Ade has already pointed out, this is a customs uniform. The identification on the dealer's

Default Re: Need help with tunic

Alright, here are my two cents (but please bear in mind that this is not my area of expertise):

As Ade has already pointed out, this is a customs uniform. The identification on the dealer's site as a "Kriegsmarine" uniform for a "Master Technical Official" is indeed completely wrong in every way.

As far as I know, the dark green color would make this a pre- or early Third Reich model, while the twin collar Litzen were worn ca. 1934-1937, but I have only very little reference material on the subject of Zoll uniforms and insignia and cannot comment on the timeframe, authenticity or value of the tunic with any degree of authority.

The breast eagle certainly does not belong on this uniform and has been applied at some later time.

(Interestingly, also on offer on the same website is another customs uniform that is even identfied as such. The problem is that it is offered as a Third Reich customs tunic, but is a actually post-war Federal German one - complete with Federal-era collar patches - that also had a breast eagle as well as a Third Reich-era customs cufftitle and a KVM ribbon bar slapped on! Photographs: http://oldguns.net/pix/9807.jpg )

I, too, seriously doubt that the awards (with the ribbon bar even applied upside down) are original to the tunic, but just for the sake of accuracy, it should be noted that the combination of a KVK2 with swords and a KVK1 without swords is not impossible.

A recipient could be awarded the second class with swords and later the 1st class without swords or vice versa.
    It was even possible to be awarded both classes without swords and later on one or both classes with swords. In this case, only the swords version of the class in question was to be worn.
    Last edited by HPL2008; 10-14-2011 at 05:15 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need help with tunic
    P
    Many

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    Alright, here are my two cents (but please bear in mind that this is not my area of expertise):

As Ade has already pointed out, this is a customs uniform. The identification on the dealer's site as a "Kriegsmarine" uniform for a "Master Technical Official" is indeed completely wrong in every way.

As far as I know, the dark green color would make this a pre- or early Third Reich model, while the twin collar Litzen were worn ca. 1934-1937, but I have only very little reference material on the subject of Zoll uniforms and insignia and cannot comment on the timeframe, authenticity or value of the tunic with any degree of authority.

The breast eagle certainly does not belong on this uniform and has been applied at some later time.

(Interestingly, also on offer on the same website is another customs uniform that is even identfied as such. The problem is that it is offered as a Third Reich customs tunic, but is a actually post-war Federal German one - complete with Federal-era collar patches - that also had a breast eagle as well as a Third Reich-era customs cufftitle and a KVM ribbon bar slapped on! Photographs: http://oldguns.net/pix/9807.jpg )

I, too, seriously doubt that the awards (with the ribbon bar even applied upside down) are original to the tunic, but just for the sake of accuracy, it should be noted that the combination of a KVK2 with swords and a KVK1 without swords is not impossible.

A recipient could be awarded the second class with swords and later the 1st class without swords or vice versa.
    It was even possible to be awarded both classes without swords and later on one or both classes with swords. In this case, only the swords version of the class in question was to be worn.
    Thanks for the info!

I will pass on this tunic then, since it is a somewhat "put together" piece. It might be worth the price just for the individual parts, though. haha

HDL2008 done hit the nail on the head with his rendition of this conglomeration meant to snare the unread, inexperienced bargain-hunter. The brite green tunic is a West German police tunic with the typical gold buttons. That gold bullion eagle doesn't not belong on it at all, it looks like a fake, & who would use (( waste )) an original German Army General's gold bullion eagle on such a pc of junque slated to a dilettante. That thing has nothing to do whatsoever with the German Navy or Coastal Artillery. What a wonderous idea to put the Customs RSV boards on it. It is hardly worth the price for any individual parts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2