Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need Opinions! Railway Car Eagle - 23 1/2

Article about: Hi All, Any questions or concerns on this one? Would like your thoughts on this one. 23 1/2" LOC rail road car eagle. Has unfinished posts on the back. It is a PS eagle and is marked El

?

Thumbs up Need Opinions! Railway Car Eagle - 23 1/2

Hi All,

Any questions or concerns on authenticity of this one? Would like your thoughts on this.

23 1/2" German Railway Car Eagle. Has unfinished posts on the back so did not ever get mounted. It is a PS marked eagle and is marked Ellok 600 on the back side of the wing along with the metal composition stamped GAL - MG51. On the other wing its marked RZA3 BLN. Looks like eagle's head has the foundry stamps F? 4? but can't read them fully.

From what I know and can tell it looks good but wanted to have you all weigh in. Thanks in advance for your review.

Rossi
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need Opinions!  Railway Car Eagle - 23 1/2   Need Opinions!  Railway Car Eagle - 23 1/2  

Need Opinions!  Railway Car Eagle - 23 1/2   Need Opinions!  Railway Car Eagle - 23 1/2  

Need Opinions!  Railway Car Eagle - 23 1/2   Need Opinions!  Railway Car Eagle - 23 1/2  

Attached Images Attached Images Need Opinions!  Railway Car Eagle - 23 1/2  Need Opinions!  Railway Car Eagle - 23 1/2  Need Opinions!  Railway Car Eagle - 23 1/2  Need Opinions!  Railway Car Eagle - 23 1/2 
    Last edited by Rossi; 08-10-2015 at 07:05 PM.
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need Opinions!  Railway Car Eagle - 23 1/2
    P
    Many

Hi Kirk,

All I can say is if it's real, they were having a bad day at the foundry..., although that's just my opinion! The very noticecable porosity, the ragged edges that haven't been finished and the overall softness of the reverse features and lettering would make me a little wary of buying this piece. Afterall, there's plenty around if your patient and quick on the trigger..... Not one for me.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

100% agree with Ned.

?

I believe it to be authentic but she is a little rough as you state. Thanks for the opinions as I do appreciate the validation as to my own concerns. Maybe the foundry mold pull was a Friday and the beer was flowing early...Or...It was being bombed

?

Possibly a casting of an original ?

Quote by Rossi View Post
    I believe it to be authentic but she is a little rough as you state. Thanks for the opinions as I do appreciate the validation as to my own concerns. Maybe the foundry mold pull was a Friday and the beer was flowing early...Or...It was being bombed
    Maybe. Although why they didn't throw it back in the smelter will forever be a mystery to me.... I'm quite prepared for it to be proven genuine, but for the money these go for I wouldn't be one of those queueing up to buy it, it's at best a poorly cast example, or worse a repro made in the last 40 years or so, but that's just me.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

I agree too many scars, rough edges and feather ruffles on this for my liking thus why I posted. I have been offered to purchase it but am passing.

I'm with Ned on this one too --- lots of really bad casting flaws all over. Not to say that that couldn't have happened but if I was working at that factory I would surely have been tempted to melt down and recast this one

One more thing; this must be the first I've I've seen marked "Ellok", I'm only aware of "LOK". I understand that this might be referring to an electric locomotive (Elektrolokomotive), as opposed to an ordinary locomotive but this is a first for me... can anyone confirm that these markings are known on other good examples? Out to learn, not to slam the eagle because of markings I might be unaware of here---

Btw; Rossi --- you didn't wind up getting that welded one after all then I take it?

?

Quote by slados28 View Post
    Btw; Rossi --- you didn't wind up getting that welded one after all then I take it?
    No I passed on it. Looking for a good one for the collection room but trying to be very selective. Have put out word I am looking for one and of course my website email has been flooding with many post war birds, a couple real mint ones that people want crazy money for and then a few ugly ones like this. I liked the repaired one and for the price he was asking it was fair. Just taking my time. Still recovering over here from surgery so I appreciate Big Ned, Harryamb2, Lew07 and you weighing in Still got many cob webs upstairs and the pain meds cloud the judgment and eyesight. I don't know what made me take a second look at this except the price was fair but I would rather pay a little more and keep my quality meter up. Appreciate you guys taking time! Always can count on the Braddhahood!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast