Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

NSKK Crash helmet advice needed

Article about: Hi All, I just picked up this crash helmet, it is on the salty side with alot of wear and some areas of the ear flaps torn, but the price was about 1/3 of a decent one so I did not overpay b

Exclamation UPDATE NSKK Crash helmet advice needed

Hi All,
    I just picked up this crash helmet, it is on the salty side with alot of wear and some areas of the ear flaps torn, but the price was about 1/3 of a decent one so I did not overpay by any means, the eagle looks to be good and original to the helmet and even though any stampings or rzm tags are long gone I am hoping this is not one of those post war civilian helmets that Bob C mentioned in one of his posts, I believe it is ok though, so with that out of the way do you have any suggestions on restoration?? should I just leave it as is or should I try some black shoe polish to those worn areas? esp the top, If I do the shoe polish trick I would have to do the entire helmet with it so it all blends together. what do you guys think?? thank you for any help you can offer
    NSKK Crash helmet advice neededNSKK Crash helmet advice neededNSKK Crash helmet advice neededNSKK Crash helmet advice neededNSKK Crash helmet advice neededNSKK Crash helmet advice neededNSKK Crash helmet advice needed
    Last edited by maximus71; 06-29-2013 at 02:21 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement NSKK Crash helmet advice needed
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: NSKK Crash helmet advice needed

It is a good ww2 crash helmet it is a little salty it is up to you if you want to put something on the leather honestly I would keep this one until I could go for better because there are a lot of nice ww2 crash helmets out there

It appears to be a period sturzhelm. The absence of any eigentum stamps or RZM tag would indicate it is likely an early helmet purchased through a commercial source. I would suggest discussing the wear and restoration with possibly a shoe maker or leather worker who would be familiar with the correct products to use. All depends on whether you can live with it as such or want to improve the condition.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Thanks Bob I can rest easier now, I dont know what I want to do.....I would hate to tinker with it and then look at it wishing I didnt, I kind of like the dust and oldness built up on it, it gives it that hard worn feeling, the only part that bothers me is the top ridge....it looks like the wearer fell off his bike at 60mph and slide down the road on his head lol.

I like it as is IMO.
    Congrats

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

Thanks, I will be able to decide better when it is in my hands, hopefully tomorrow!

Quote by maximus71 View Post
    Thanks Bob I can rest easier now, I dont know what I want to do.....I would hate to tinker with it and then look at it wishing I didnt, I kind of like the dust and oldness built up on it, it gives it that hard worn feeling, the only part that bothers me is the top ridge....it looks like the wearer fell off his bike at 60mph and slide down the road on his head lol.
    LOL. It does look like that but I would also leave it as it is. It ruins the whole life story that the helmet had. It is like having an interesting life and then forgetting it all. My great ways of putting things....

Quote by kyles bullets View Post
    LOL. It does look like that but I would also leave it as it is. It ruins the whole life story that the helmet had. It is like having an interesting life and then forgetting it all. My great ways of putting things....
    I would call this an uninformed comment as there is no way this sturzhelm was worn in period in this condition. The damage occured postwar, possibly by being played with. The only history lost would be a history of abuse.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

The damage is post war IMO also, it is obvious it was stored flat for a long time with the ear flaps tucked inside causing them to crease and crack/tear when unfolded, to bad it wasnt stored on a helmet stand so the flaps could have been left to hang instead of being folded up for so long, the top may have been exposed to sun for a long time, became brittle and inadvertanly rubbed or flaked off, either way I am going keep it as preserved as possible to prevent any further deterioration, I am going to display it with a mint NSKK pennant to spruce it up a bit, kind of like parking your old broken down dodge next to a new ferrari lol

Exclamation UPDATE!! Re: NSKK Crash helmet advice needed

UPDATE: Hi All,
    Well I just got done with my amateur attempt at restoring my NSKK crash helmet, since it didnt break the bank I figured I would give it a good attempt, all I really did was carefully rub black shoe polish over it then buffed it and it came out pretty good I also rubbed some gun oil on the adler(which is nicely married to and sunk into the helmet) to bring out some shine and color, the helmet looks much better IMO and still has a nice age to it, the leather ear flaps are just far too dry and chaffed at the folds to do anything with but they should hold on as long as they are not played with, here are some before and after photos
    NSKK Crash helmet advice neededNSKK Crash helmet advice neededNSKK Crash helmet advice neededNSKK Crash helmet advice neededNSKK Crash helmet advice neededNSKK Crash helmet advice neededNSKK Crash helmet advice neededNSKK Crash helmet advice needed
    NSKK Crash helmet advice needed

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast