Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

RAD Baton for review

Article about: For review... A RAD baton...I am searching my references for more details... Any comments welcome... G

Here's a full translation of the text posted by Wim:

"95. Drum-major's baton with banderole (illustration see plate 29)

The drum-major's baton consists of the ball, the stick, the ferrule and two oval plates at the lower end of the stick.
    The ball is made of 1.2 millimeter-thick nickel-plated iron sheet metal (over a brass or copper base). It is assembled from an upper- and lower part. Overall height of the ball ca. 195 millimeters, largest diameter ca. 98 millimeters. The lower half of the ball is filled with colophony* with an oil additive. The two Labor Service symbols on the ball are attached by hard solder in a close fit. The stick consists of a malacca cane**. The length of the visible wood - of as round a shape as possible - is 790 to 800 millimeters. Diameter is ca. 32 millimeters at the ball and ca. 25 millimeters at the ferrule. The stick is inserted into the upper half of the ball and into the ferrule in a tight fit and glued in. Furthermore, it is attached to the ball element by three sunken wood screws and to the ferrule by two screwed-in eyelets***.
    Some 40 millimeters above the lower end of the stick, a hole for pulling through the banderole is drilled through the stick. The borehole is covered on both sides of the stick by oval plates of 1 millimeter-thick nickel-plated iron sheet metal measuring 30 millimeters width by 40 millimeters height.
    The ferrule is made of 1.2 millimeter-thick nickel-plated iron sheet metal rolled up in a conical shape. Some 22 millimeters away from the larger end of the tube is a borehole for screwing in two eyelets. Fitted and hard-soldered into the smaller end of the tube is the tip in the shape of a ball (15 millimeters diameter). All metal fittings are thickly nickel-plated and polished to a high gloss.
    Overall length of the drum-major's baton is ca. 1,350 millimeters.

Banderole:
    It consists of the rope, two tassels and two slides.
    The rope is of 4 meters length and 5 millimeters thickness. The rope's core is covered by a spiral pattern weave in the alternating colors of black-white-red.
    The tassels measure 50 millimeters in diameter by 150 millimeters in length. Diameter of the ball-shaped slides is 16 millimeters.
    "

*) A resin material.
    **) A tropical cane, also used for walking sticks, umbrellas etc. at the time.
    ***) Those are the eyelets used for attaching the rope.

RAD Baton for review
    Last edited by HPL2008; 11-27-2016 at 08:41 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement RAD Baton for review
    P
    Many

?

A great and many thanks to Wim. and HPL2008 !!
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

?

A great deal of information.. My find lacks certain qualities.. The plates and certainly the cording and tassels.. I am not sure if I will ever be able to assemble this piece back to original status..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RAD Baton for review  
    Attached Images Attached Images RAD Baton for review 
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5