MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sa reference book

Article about: Hi I'm more interested with the " SA ", could you give some reference books about the uniform / insignes / headgear / equipment .... of the SA thanks for your help @+, hughes

?

thanks a lot for all the informations
    I will try to find them
    regards

hughes

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Sa reference book
    P
    Many

If you wish to research the insignia and the various time table it was used, the Angolia book is likely the best work in English. Not all of the uniform illustrations can be trusted. A friend of mine bought a tunic illustrated in the book and it was an other grades tunic that had been embellished with officer insignia to a rare organization. The Saris book on headgear is the best thing in print.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Friedrich-Berthold and Bob Coleman have pretty much said it all. There is frustratingly little secondary literature available on SA regalia.

Unfortunately, Angolia's books are always flawed (although of course no secondary reference is ever 100% perfect), but his SA/NSDAP book is still a must-have for the simple fact that there is no real competition to it.
    ("The SA: A Historical Perspective" by Jill Halcomb is not without merit, but inferior to Angolia, so I wouldn't bother with it.)

When it comes to SA headgear, Vol. 3 of Wim Saris' "Headgear of Hitler's Germany" is really excellent and will probably stay the definitive reference for a very long time. Even if you are not primarily interested in caps, you should still get it, as the info on group colors etc. is of general interest. Also, the many period photographs are excellent studies of uniforms and insignia far beyond matters of headgear.

You can't go wrong with The SA 1921-45: Hitler's Stormtroopers from Osprey Military (MAA series # 220). By the nature of its format, this work can't go into great depth and detail, but it is affordable, attractively presented and makes for a good general overview and a handy quick reference.

For period references, as has been said, Freiherr von Eelking's Die Uniformen der Braunhemden and the Organisationsbuch der NSDAP are must-haves. The former and the the 1937 and 1943 editions of the latter may be found as scans online. (All are in German, obviously.)

Another period reference is Cord von Einem's Abzeichen und Dienstgrade der SA. Originally published in 1933, it is available as a reprint.

?

thanks a lot for your informations and help

I find the link scan for the Die Uniformen der Braunhemden and the Organisationsbuch der NSDAP and the angolia on ebay

@+, hughes

There are many smaller booklets , which include SA, like the ones from Cord von Einem (various issues do exist).
    For example:
    a) Adolf Hitler's Braunhemden from the Moritz Ruhl Verlag, 1933. The original is in color, but honestly said, I have not ever seen such colored copy;
    b) NSDAP, Aufbau und Abzeichen from Beppo Bässler from 1933;
    c) Abzeichen und Dienstgrade der SA und SS, published by Adolf THomas in 1933;
    d) Abzeichen und Dienstgrade der NSDAP und ihrer Untergliederungen, published by Mühlmeister & Johler in 1934;
    e) Anzugs-Ordnung für die SA. Teil 1, published March 1, 1934 by the Oberste SA-Führung. Apparently a Teil 2 was not ever published;
    f) Uniformtafel der SA und SS from 1934, published by Offene Worte (this is a colored plate);
    g) Das Braunhemd, in a 1933-version and 1934-version, published by the OSAF. In fact it is a colored plate;
    h) Handbuch der SA, published 1939 on orders of the OSAF (gives structures);
    i) Dienstvorschrift für die SA der NSDAP (Die SA, Der SA-Mann und SA-Füihrer), Heft 1 from 1932, published by Huber on orders of the OSAF;
    j) ibid (SA-Wirtschaft und Schriftverkehr), Heft 2, published 1932;
    k) ibid (innere und grosse SA-Dienst and Transport-Vorschrift), Heft 3, published 1932;
    l) ibid (Übungsvorschrift), Heft 4, published in 1932. i) through l) gives all about structures, uniforms, how to prodceed or whatever.

The ones mentioned as from a) through g) are the easiest to get.
    Further is of interest:
    Verordnungsblatt der Obersten SA-Führung, isued from 1931 through 1944 with all kinds of information including uniforms etc.;
    Führerbefehle der SA, issued by the OSAF between 1933 and 1943/1944. Of interest for promotions;
    Mitteilungsblatt der Reichszeugmeisterei and Herstellungsvorschriften. They include also information about the SA.

All issues from the Organisationsbuch have included information about SA, but that is just a small part for such or any volume.

All mentioned is period and old documentation. Books published after the war, as Angolia, Osprey and Halcomb mostly are a sort of "reservoirs",
    due to lack of knowledge and above all lack of the German language! I thought I have not seen Fuller mentioned, or?
    But they are acceptable, as nothing else exists right now. I think it is time someone takes at hand a series about the SA, covering at least all about
    uniforms, insignia, flags or whatever. But who is able to write this book, which will result anyway in two or even three volumes. I know one Dutch
    friend of mine is working with a book about the system of collar-patches. I have heard also in the US plans exist, but what will be the result? I
    have my hope to see one day the book from the Dutch guy, as he is in this field an authority! Hopefully it will be released one day as it will cover
    material, which is never seen before and some is not ever told about.

?

thanks to all
    that's really help me

@+, hughes

Now all the principals have spoken, and perhaps this thread should be pinned. Happy new year to you all.

Quote by Wilhelm Saris View Post
    There are many smaller booklets , which include SA, like the ones from Cord von Einem (various issues do exist).
    For example:
    a) Adolf Hitler's Braunhemden from the Moritz Ruhl Verlag, 1933. The original is in color, but honestly said, I have not ever seen such colored copy;
    b) NSDAP, Aufbau und Abzeichen from Beppo Bässler from 1933;
    c) Abzeichen und Dienstgrade der SA und SS, published by Adolf THomas in 1933;
    d) Abzeichen und Dienstgrade der NSDAP und ihrer Untergliederungen, published by Mühlmeister & Johler in 1934;
    e) Anzugs-Ordnung für die SA. Teil 1, published March 1, 1934 by the Oberste SA-Führung. Apparently a Teil 2 was not ever published;
    f) Uniformtafel der SA und SS from 1934, published by Offene Worte (this is a colored plate);
    g) Das Braunhemd, in a 1933-version and 1934-version, published by the OSAF. In fact it is a colored plate;
    h) Handbuch der SA, published 1939 on orders of the OSAF (gives structures);
    i) Dienstvorschrift für die SA der NSDAP (Die SA, Der SA-Mann und SA-Füihrer), Heft 1 from 1932, published by Huber on orders of the OSAF;
    j) ibid (SA-Wirtschaft und Schriftverkehr), Heft 2, published 1932;
    k) ibid (innere und grosse SA-Dienst and Transport-Vorschrift), Heft 3, published 1932;
    l) ibid (Übungsvorschrift), Heft 4, published in 1932. i) through l) gives all about structures, uniforms, how to prodceed or whatever.

The ones mentioned as from a) through g) are the easiest to get.
    Further is of interest:
    Verordnungsblatt der Obersten SA-Führung, isued from 1931 through 1944 with all kinds of information including uniforms etc.;
    Führerbefehle der SA, issued by the OSAF between 1933 and 1943/1944. Of interest for promotions;
    Mitteilungsblatt der Reichszeugmeisterei and Herstellungsvorschriften. They include also information about the SA.

All issues from the Organisationsbuch have included information about SA, but that is just a small part for such or any volume.

All mentioned is period and old documentation. Books published after the war, as Angolia, Osprey and Halcomb mostly are a sort of "reservoirs",
    due to lack of knowledge and above all lack of the German language! I thought I have not seen Fuller mentioned, or?
    But they are acceptable, as nothing else exists right now. I think it is time someone takes at hand a series about the SA, covering at least all about
    uniforms, insignia, flags or whatever. But who is able to write this book, which will result anyway in two or even three volumes. I know one Dutch
    friend of mine is working with a book about the system of collar-patches. I have heard also in the US plans exist, but what will be the result? I
    have my hope to see one day the book from the Dutch guy, as he is in this field an authority! Hopefully it will be released one day as it will cover
    material, which is never seen before and some is not ever told about.

I restate my assertion that our Wim is a vastly superior researcher than the poseur other whose name I will not enjoin any longer.

David Fullers book on SA insignia isn't too bad and can be found for a cheep price. You can also find the Van eelking book from a British publisher for about $30.

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Sa reference book   Sa reference book  

Sa reference book  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast